What is the PSP 3001?

New FCC filing found

Posted by Staff
Sony has made a brand new filing with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) under a mysterious moniker - 'PSP-3001'.

As per usual with FCC filings, details are sparse and mired in confidentiality. What we can say is that the FCC was focussing its testing on the 2.4GHz spectrum for the PSP-3001's use of the 802.11b spectrum. In other words - Wi-Fi.

The diagrams (which demonstrate the location of the FCC label) display absolutely no difference between the 3001 and the Slim and Lite. That said, it's worth noting that the name for the Slim and Lite was 'PSP-2001', which makes the name 'PSP-3001' rather suggestive of something at least incrementally... different.

It was rumoured recently that a new model of the PSP dubbed 'PSP-3000' was on the way. This was supposedly going to feature a mic and a PS button in place of the home button. Neither of these rumoured differences appear in the diagram on the FCC's website.

So, basically, we know that the model does something different that relates to Wi-Fi. It could be a tiny alteration that relates to different components being used in the PSP's guts, it could be something big and awesome. Maybe a touch screen...

†Source: Endgadget
Companies:

Comments

A Nonny Mouse 14 Aug 2008 11:11
1/15
It's nothing to get excited about, it's just the "rumoured long long ago" internal flash memory to download PSN content and cache UMD files to (thus extending the battery life further - coincidence that they've just stopped selling the extended life battery?).

Last I heard the memory is only 8GB, which will prove pretty useless. Also since 93.42% of all PSP users run custom firmware and download all their games from the internet, this is a complete waste of a hardware revision.
DoctorDee 14 Aug 2008 12:29
2/15
A Nonny Mouse wrote:
the memory is only 8GB, which will prove pretty useless.

How so? Back in the days when I had a merely 8GB iPhone, I found it adequate for carting around two hours of music, 11 full length movies and a smattering of applications.

Now I've got a 16GB iPhone, I carry more movies, more music and leave a whopping amount intentionally blank.

I'd say 8GB is enough.


more comments below our sponsor's message
A Nonny Mouse 14 Aug 2008 12:57
3/15
DoctorDee wrote:

How so? Back in the days when I had a merely 8GB iPhone, I found it adequate for carting around two hours of music, 11 full length movies and a smattering of applications.

Now I've got a 16GB iPhone, I carry more movies, more music and leave a whopping amount intentionally blank.

I'd say 8GB is enough.


Given that the UMD can hold over 2GB, PSOne download games can be up to 1GB plus whatever other content can be stored on there, I reckon it'll get consumed pretty quickly. This isn't just about music, movies and photos.
tyrion 14 Aug 2008 13:52
4/15
A Nonny Mouse wrote:
Given that the UMD can hold over 2GB, PSOne download games can be up to 1GB

Minor corrections; UMD capacity is about 1.8GB for a dual-layer disc, PSOne games were on CD, so about 720MB maximum per CD.
haritori 14 Aug 2008 19:41
5/15
SPOnG wrote:
What is the PSP 3001?


The PSP 3001 is a jet powered, monkey navigated, self inflating, diamond tipped, closer shave.
Was p 15 Aug 2008 21:28
6/15
haritori wrote:
SPOnG wrote:
What is the PSP 3001?


The PSP 3001 is a jet powered, monkey navigated, self inflating, diamond tipped, closer shave.


Is that shave 93.42% closer? Will it be better than an i-shaver and the DS trimmer?
haritori 15 Aug 2008 22:18
7/15
Was p wrote:
haritori wrote:
SPOnG wrote:
What is the PSP 3001?


The PSP 3001 is a jet powered, monkey navigated, self inflating, diamond tipped, closer shave.


Is that shave 93.42% closer? Will it be better than an i-shaver and the DS trimmer?


Of course the PSP 3001 takes massive strides in shaving technology and by using the patented String Theory along with 11th Dimensional Space and Time Shrinking gives you the closest shave yet! and far out performs any and all competitiors including, iShaver, DS Trimmer and the previous best seller the ZunePluck!
DoctorDee 16 Aug 2008 11:16
8/15
A Nonny Mouse wrote:

Given that the UMD can hold over 2GB, PSOne download games can be up to 1GB plus whatever other content can be stored on there, I reckon it'll get consumed pretty quickly. This isn't just about music, movies and photos.

I didn't say it wouldn't get full. I said it was more than "pretty useless". But 8GB will hold two games, three movies and a few hours of music.

It's not for keeping your entire library of games on, just one or two you want to play that day. And assuming it still has Memory Stick, you can put your movies and music on there, and keep five or six games with you.

Seems "pretty useful" to me.

Was p 17 Aug 2008 12:48
9/15
haritori wrote:
Was p wrote:
haritori wrote:
SPOnG wrote:
What is the PSP 3001?


The PSP 3001 is a jet powered, monkey navigated, self inflating, diamond tipped, closer shave.


Is that shave 93.42% closer? Will it be better than an i-shaver and the DS trimmer?


Of course the PSP 3001 takes massive strides in shaving technology and by using the patented String Theory along with 11th Dimensional Space and Time Shrinking gives you the closest shave yet! and far out performs any and all competitiors including, iShaver, DS Trimmer and the previous best seller the ZunePluck!


Wow! It sounds like removing the skin from my face, would be the only to get closer. But will I be able to upgrade to a higher level of simian navigation? Even the SS4 can operate up to Neanderthal levels of performance these days.


haritori 17 Aug 2008 15:18
10/15
Was p wrote:
haritori wrote:
Was p wrote:
haritori wrote:
SPOnG wrote:
What is the PSP 3001?


The PSP 3001 is a jet powered, monkey navigated, self inflating, diamond tipped, closer shave.


Is that shave 93.42% closer? Will it be better than an i-shaver and the DS trimmer?


Of course the PSP 3001 takes massive strides in shaving technology and by using the patented String Theory along with 11th Dimensional Space and Time Shrinking gives you the closest shave yet! and far out performs any and all competitiors including, iShaver, DS Trimmer and the previous best seller the ZunePluck!


Wow! It sounds like removing the skin from my face, would be the only to get closer. But will I be able to upgrade to a higher level of simian navigation? Even the SS4 can operate up to Neanderthal levels of performance these days.




Yes the new technology overcomes the SS4 drawbacks by using RROD(TM) tech located at the heart of its desgin! the basic concept works by combining SS4`s to maximum of 187 and then beating them down until a resonable and coherant feedback is given.
Was p 18 Aug 2008 18:46
11/15
haritori wrote:
Was p wrote:
haritori wrote:
Was p wrote:
haritori wrote:
SPOnG wrote:
What is the PSP 3001?


The PSP 3001 is a jet powered, monkey navigated, self inflating, diamond tipped, closer shave.


Is that shave 93.42% closer? Will it be better than an i-shaver and the DS trimmer?


Of course the PSP 3001 takes massive strides in shaving technology and by using the patented String Theory along with 11th Dimensional Space and Time Shrinking gives you the closest shave yet! and far out performs any and all competitiors including, iShaver, DS Trimmer and the previous best seller the ZunePluck!


Wow! It sounds like removing the skin from my face, would be the only to get closer. But will I be able to upgrade to a higher level of simian navigation? Even the SS4 can operate up to Neanderthal levels of performance these days.




Yes the new technology overcomes the SS4 drawbacks by using RROD(TM) tech located at the heart of its desgin! the basic concept works by combining SS4`s to maximum of 187 and then beating them down until a resonable and coherant feedback is given.



Reasonable and coherent feedback; from an SS4 array?! Now you’re talking pure techno fantasy.
Next you’ll tell me that Sony, have launched something, when they first said they would, and MS has built a piece of hardware, that’s more reliable that a chocolate soup spoon.
zunguri 25 Aug 2008 09:36
12/15
A Nonny Mouse wrote:
Also since 93.42% of all PSP users run custom firmware and download all their games from the internet, this is a complete waste of a hardware revision.


I think it is more likely that your statement is 6.58% accurate.
haritori 25 Aug 2008 11:44
13/15
zunguri wrote:
A Nonny Mouse wrote:
Also since 93.42% of all PSP users run custom firmware and download all their games from the internet, this is a complete waste of a hardware revision.


I think it is more likely that your statement is 6.58% accurate.


I 56.9% Agree!
Delmir Badayos 8 May 2009 15:13
14/15
@A_Nonny Mouse Why i can't download games to my sony psp i hate this to say but i need to know when will the modification will rise soon. hope to get the modification as soon as possible
killa7 4 Apr 2011 21:09
15/15
I 99.9% agree.... and yes supersayan 4 was awsome...
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.