Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades Clarifies Uncharted 2 Comments

An unedited response from Ninja Theory's top man.

Posted by Staff
Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades Clarifies Uncharted 2 Comments
Earlier today we ran a story regarding Ninja Theory main-man Tameem Antoniades' presentation at BAFTA last night. In the interest of transparency and clarity, we are now running a follow-up that clarifies what Tameem said about Uncharted 2's animations.

Tameem initially took the time to post to our Forum on the initial story stating that, our headline was misleading and inflammatory. He commented, "I actually never said the Uncharted 2 animations were overdone." You can read his posting on the Forum.

We obviously followed this up and offered to run a full and unedited response. Tameem took the time to respond very positively to this, so we are pleased to print his unedited response.

"I am a huge fan of Naughty dog in all aspects of development. I see them as the setting the gold standard in action adventure game in all areas including animation.

"However, I am a firm believer in performance capture (capturing face, body and voice simultaneously for multiple actors). It is a technique we pioneered in games with Heavenly Sword working alongside Weta Digital and gives, in my opinion, the most honest representation of human drama."

Also, so that everybody is totally clear on what was said, we've also uploaded the audio of the event. You can listen to it via this link (by the way, the question is asked by SPOnG contributor, Lauren Wainwright, of the excellent Daily Girl Attack Panic Super HD Remix site.)

We're more than happy to run this clarification, as Tameem told us, "Sure, to be fair it was an honest misunderstanding as we had just been talking about U2 but I was responding more generally to the issue of over-animating in games in general."
Companies:
People:

Comments

That's what he said 28 Sep 2010 15:09
1/11
Your first piece was correct, sponge. He agreed Uncharted 2's animation was overdone....Don't let them intimidate you.
Tim Smith 28 Sep 2010 15:41
2/11
Hiya, Tameem took the time to come to the Forum, and have quite a lengthy email exchange. Over the years, I've been on the end of intimidation regarding stories, which I did not update because the intimidators in question were all threat and bluster but nowt else.

I am happy to say that Tameem's responses have been neither blustery or threatening. In fact, he's been nothing but open - even to the extent of saying that it was " an honest misunderstanding".

I'm also very happy that had the audio is available for to us to run in order for our readers to be fully informed.

As I say, the audio is there for all.

Cheers

Tim
more comments below our sponsor's message
More importantly 28 Sep 2010 18:04
3/11
Why does Tameem get to be the new dante in the new DMC game???
Honeyman 28 Sep 2010 19:44
4/11
I thought that as well when I saw him being interviewed in a video from the Playstation blog the other day over the new DmC.

Still, we should give them a chance to prove their development chops with the newest Devil May Cry title when it comes out.
Lee 28 Sep 2010 21:38
5/11
I was there and I don't think your story was inflammatory. He said what you said he said. If you know what I mean. :)

It was more respectful than it looks in black and white, but he did say it.

Was good reportin', I say.
Tim Smith 28 Sep 2010 21:51
6/11
Lee wrote:

It was more respectful than it looks in black and white, but he did say it.

Was good reportin', I say.

Thanks Lee,

Tameem took the time to respond, and we had the audio to post. So, a follow-up and clarification seemed appropriate. We're here to inform (and entertain) after all.

I hope everybody, having listened to the audio, can be in a position to decide.

Cheers

Tim
Tom 28 Sep 2010 22:11
7/11
screw this guy, he is way too full of himself and his half ass team.
Bereaver 29 Sep 2010 02:40
8/11
@That's_what_he_said

You're barking up the wrong tree, because posting opinions are just that, opinions.

ND chose to use full blown out animation because they wanted the comedy effect in there. It just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't fully animated.

The only reason he has to say the animation was overdone, is because, it's his opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
DoctorDee 29 Sep 2010 07:17
9/11
I think, on listening to the audio, we'd moved from UC2 specifically onto another question that was not specific, and I think Tameem's thought proceses had moved on too.

But on the whole subject, it has to be said, even though UC2's animation was superb, Heavenly Sword's were sublime.
anonimus 27 Dec 2010 08:14
10/11
This guy is full of s**t... hope somebody will kick him out of game soon...
But... 9 Jun 2011 22:42
11/11
@DoctorDee

Could you say the gameplay was? I watched retail on that game drop dramatically AND fall out of popularity. Uncharted 2 not as much or as fast.
Comment Posting BlockedThe IP address, network or Internet service provider you are using has been identified as a source of spam activity. To keep things happy and friendly for the community we have blocked comment posting from your location. If you believe you've been block in error, please contact us.