Watch out Konami. According to the UK All Formats chart that remain copyright ELSPA, and collated by Chart-Track, this is the most successful FIFA launch in the history of FIFA launches. FIFA 10 has beaten it's 09 equivalent by nearly 50%. This is not simply big for EA's series of soccer games, it also places the game as the second most successful UK launch ever, behind GTA IV.
Says Chart-Track: "As with last yearís FIFA, Xbox 360ís share is 2 percentage points more than PS3 as Microsoftís format generates 48% of sales, PS3 46% with 6% on the remaining formats). ĎFIFA 09í sold 42% on Xbox 360 and 40% on PS3 in its launch week, with the remaining formats securing a much larger 18% share. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions are now respectively the 5th and 6th fastest selling single format releases."
The rest of the chart pales into comparative insignificance really with some shuffling going on and MySims re-entering the chart at Number 7. Frankly, however, as a publisher with any sense you would not be launching against FIFA 10.
The Chart - Last Week's Position in brackets
(NE) - 1 - FIFA 10 - EA Sports
(2) - 2 - Professor Layton And Pandora's Box - Nintendo
(1) - 3 - Halo 3: ODST - Microsoft
(3) - 4 - Need For Speed: Shift - EA Games
(5) - 5 - Wii Sports Resort - Nintendo
(4) - 6 - Guitar Hero 5 - Redoctane
(16) - 7 - MySims Agents - EA Games
(8) - 8 - Colin McRae: Dirt 2 - Codemasters
(12) - 9 - Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo
(6) - 10 - Batman: Arkham Asylum - Eidos