Features// DS Hits London! We Balance Critics’ Questions with E3 Hype Afterglow

Posted 14 Jun 2004 11:29 by
After all the fanatical fanboy fever surrounding the first showing of the DS in Los Angeles, it would be plain silly to deny the opportunity to have another go. So when Nintendo Europe set up a DS demonstration in a London hotel, SPOnG was there immediately, poring over each demo stand with sweaty-handed enthusiasm. There wasn't much in the way of new information, but it was a good chance to test out the machine without the inebriating novelty factor clouding our normally sober judgement.

Memories of Game and Watch?
Memories of Game and Watch?
There is little doubt that the scope of the touch-screen and stylus interaction is almost infinite. As Kevin Ray, Vice President of Majesco, rather neatly put it in the corporate video trailer, "It's a blank canvas for game designers". The tech-demo games on show attempted to suggest a few possible directions for DS games to follow, and many of these creative concepts do seem to work well. The 'submarine' demonstration illustrated how a straightforward stylus control method could simplify what would normally be a convoluted process. By displaying a full cockpit control panel on the touch sensitive screen, and simultaneously showing the 'action' on the upper screen, the DS can clearly cope with the sort of games that would normally be unsuitable for a handheld with a small screen and only a few buttons. Because these controls are commanded via the touch-screen, they become strikingly simple to understand, which is something that could also help the DS seduce non-gamers.

At the other end of the scale, the Pac-Pix demo uses the touch-screen as a central gameplay feature. The player has to scribble a little pac-man shape, which then follows the direction in which its facing, chomping all the ghosts in its path. To redirect the self-drawn Pac-man, the player simply draws a barrier in its path: at which point Pac-man turns around and the munching mission continues. Whilst these types of game are going to demand much greater innovative prowess from developers, it will be this sort of thing that really sells the console. You simply won't be able to play a game of that kind on any other machine.
-1- 2 3 4   next >>

Read More Like This


Comments

config 16 Jun 2004 19:05
1/17
It's early days yet, and only MP:H has caught my eye in this bunch. Pijctochat might be a bit of a laugh - kinda like a real-time E4 scetch thing.

It does show that N are trying to expand on the how we interact with games, which has to be welcomed if only for our searing thumbs. I just hope someone moves beyond the seconds screen as a controller/map mindset.
almondVanHelsing 16 Jun 2004 21:07
2/17
Again some fanboy type from SPOnG!

In thins article, the only thing wrong with the new machine is that Mr. Wilson has fat fingers!

There is no answers to "Critics' Questions" except to say that left-handed people are to be OK.

I know this is still early for the DS, but it is being hailed as the saviour of all gaming, SPOnG could have at least found answers to questions raised on this board.

My questions are below;

How does one play these games when on a moving vehicle like bus, train, tube or car? Drawing pac man so well the DS knows which direction he should go is hard when crossing points on a train!

What age group is this aimed at? Too young and the stylus is lost every week. Too old and they have already a PDA. In the middle and they want a PSP.

How do Nintendo know they will outsell PSP? Gimmiky kids games with old school licences against PS2 in your pocket with GT4 and Wipeout.

How organised do Nintendo think hand-held players are to get together for link-up games? On my ride into work I see many people on the trains, I never see anyone else playing handhelds. If we are to meet up in a house we may as well play console games on my big screen TV!

None of these questions have been asked! SPOnG just listens to Nintendo man and gives them the marks. Why? Because it is Nintendo and SPOnG seems to let Nintendo do no wrongs.

Nintendo were top of the pile before and Sony knocked them off, I don't see any reason why hand-helds will be any different.
more comments below our sponsor's message
crafty bison 16 Jun 2004 21:16
3/17
The point is you don't WANT games like Gran Turismo in your pocket. You can't just whip that out for a quick go; it needs serious dedication.

Games like Wario Ware, Mario Kart and Pac Pix are perfect for handheld gaming.
almondVanHelsing 16 Jun 2004 21:57
4/17
With Grant Turismo you can have a quick race or tune up and test session. I spend enough time on the train each day to have a perfectly balanced and tuned car by the end of the week. If I can use that save with GT4 on PS2, why not tune up on my PSP?

I agree quick games will be best for hand-helds, but what will the public buy? Names they knew ages ago, if at all, or the same names they see and play on their PS2?
Alan is my first name 16 Jun 2004 22:24
5/17
I think the reason why people perfered the DS to the PSP in general was because Nintendo decided to make it - get this - playable.

Furthermore, if you can believe it...they announced GAMES! I mean, what the hell? That's just CRAZY! And the nonstop crazy ride didn't even stop there! Oh no, it went on when on and on like a fat chick when Nintendo decided to make their handheld CHEAPER! I mean, first you tell everyone that you're going to make a handheld that focuses on GAMES of all things, and then you tell everyone its cheaper!? That's just mad man. Nintendo is gonna sink like boat made out of bricks.
Mecha Ghandi 17 Jun 2004 10:07
6/17
AlmondvanHelsing's questions are below;

"How does one play these games when on a moving vehicle like bus, train, tube or car? Drawing pac man so well the DS knows which direction he should go is hard when crossing points on a train!"

How does one use a PDA or a biro on a moving vehicle? There's just no getting round those pesky laws of physics...

"What age group is this aimed at? Too young and the stylus is lost every week. Too old and they have already a PDA. In the middle and they want a PSP."

I don't know if there is a specific age, but; stylususizziz would be easily and cheaply replaced; there are plenty of old people without PDAs (which do something else anyway); but yes, lots of people will also want PSPs.

"How do Nintendo know they will outsell PSP?"

They don't, they're just going to try and ship more units ahead of the release date.

"Gimmiky kids games with old school licences against PS2 in your pocket with GT4 and Wipeout."

Many would argue Mario and Metroid are more than gimmicky kids games.

"How organised do Nintendo think hand-held players are to get together for link-up games?"

Um, quite organised, maybe...

"On my ride into work I see many people on the trains, I never see anyone else playing handhelds. If we are to meet up in a house we may as well play console games on my big screen TV!"

Neither DS or PSP are available yet, so you're unlikely to see people wi-fi gaming on a train. And yes, if you're at home you could well play consoles on a big screen tv: except it will have to be totally different games without stylus control.

"None of these questions have been asked!"

I suspect for very good reason ; )

"SPOnG just listens to Nintendo man and gives them the marks. Why? Because it is Nintendo and SPOnG seems to let Nintendo do no wrongs."

I think that the DS does sound impressive. Even if the PSP does turn out to be more exciting, desirable and popular, it doesn't mean that the DS isn't a good idea.

Joji 17 Jun 2004 12:33
7/17
I think both DS and PSP will co-exist well, both offer something different, and I intend to buy both. All in all I favour a Nintendo return to glory that is long overdue, Sony has done well and progressed gaming but it's time to return the reigns to and see where the take us.

Nintendo know home consoles are reaching there peak but Sony and MS never seem to touch on this point, and stray from why they are here, to give us games. PSP is a nice piece of kit, and graphicly won't need a replacement for some time, which is cool. I think for Nintendo GBA2 will fill this gap, and be on par with PSP in a tech sense if DS isn't quite there, we won''t see GBA2 for a while though. Nintendo have said about the graphics point in consoles before, so I expect when the same happens with GBA/DS they can concerntrate more on gaming.

It's all very well shouting the pro and cons of each handheld, but the public will decide. I feel both will offer some good games. I still think the ball is in Nintendo's court, because of the huge back catalogue of games they have. When you combine the expanding NES classics range, to those of the GBA, that's a lot of games. The total might be around almost 2800-3000 games.

GBA and GB range in general has sold a lot, not because there were no alternative product to buy, but on the strength of the games. Back in the day other system had much better graphics too, but their games were not as good and variety not as plentiful.

As for playing games on the move in public, it's about personal choice and how gaming is still stigmatised in society, even though the games industry makes more money than Hollywood. Wi-fi enabled DS and PSP's will play a part in changing this. If you are a gamer, you to should do your part in changing this stimga, by using your handheld more in public, even more so when these two are available. Why not? People talk on, and use mobiles just about anywhere, so hand held consoles shouldn't be any different. Everyone has lunch breaks, if you have time try using it then.

I know PSP is cool looking, but GBASP got there first, making hand helds cool, and that's why it's still selling loads. This will change, but that's progress for ya. At the end of the day when you are having fun you forget about graphics. One of my fave GB games is Qix, it like Tetris is hard to put down once the fun starts and has almost no graphics. (Speaking of Qix and Tetris, both would make great DS games)
Alan is my first name 17 Jun 2004 22:18
8/17
Speaking of Wi-Fi, I have to wonder just how much thos rabid Nintendo fanboys are dying to play their Mario Karts and Animal Crossings on-line. That alone will probably be a major factor in this.
almondVanHelsing 19 Jun 2004 08:03
9/17
Mecha Ghandi wrote:

>How does one use a PDA or a biro on a
>moving vehicle? There's just no getting round
>those pesky laws of physics...

Exactly my point. If you can't play stylus games on the moving vehicle, then you loose that class of player (the "play it while going to and from work" class). Even if I don't see them, there must be more than just me in the world that does this.

>I don't know if there is a specific age, but;
>stylususizziz would be easily and cheaply
>replaced; there are plenty of old people without
>PDAs (which do something else anyway); but yes,
>lots of people will also want PSPs.

How cheap do you think styluses would be? I bet in the UK they would be at least two pounds.

Older people with their PDAs are already playing their touch screen golf and card games. This is a market that Nintendo may wish to enter with PDA-like software, this is hinted in the feature.

> >"Gimmiky kids games with old school licences against PS2
> >in your pocket with GT4 and Wipeout."

>Many would argue Mario and Metroid are more than
>gimmicky kids games.

Mario is a kid's game character (to many) and shooting with the stylus is a gimmik (to many).

>"How organised do Nintendo think hand-held players are to get
>together for link-up games?"

>Um, quite organised, maybe...

Obviously I have a different opinion of hand held gamers than you do. I think hand helds are best for filling in time when, perhaps, reading a book could be done. You think it's more like a substitute for a game of football, I think. We could be both right.

>Neither DS or PSP are available
>yet, so you're unlikely to see people wi-fi
>gaming on a train.

I didn't say "wi-fi gaming", I said "playing handhelds", you know like on a GBA or an N-Gage. I see people texting, maybe they are playing mobile games, but I don't think so, I see people reading books and newspapers and I see people staring out of the window. I don't see many people playing hanbdhelds. This, I think, leads back to our different views on hand held gaming.

> And yes, if you're at home you
>could well play consoles on a big screen tv:
>except it will have to be totally different games
>without stylus control.

And this is an earth shattering loss to me why? I don't need a stylus to play GT or burnout or Monkey Ball or any group games on my consoles. If I gather with friends to have a gaming night, we don't all get out our GBAs and link cables! We drink beer and play console games.

> >"None of these questions have been asked!"

>I suspect for very good reason ; )

What reason? You haven't made a reason in your post.

>I think that the DS
>does sound impressive. Even if the PSP does turn
>out to be more exciting, desirable and popular,
>it doesn't mean that the DS isn't a good
>idea.

It is a different idea, true. However I don't see it catching on in the mainstream. It may sell enough to cover its costs to Nintendo, but will it sell more than PSP? Will it sell more than GBA? Will it sell more than GBA2? Will SPOnG have a larger chart for DS games than it does for N-Gage?

Some of those questions will be yes, some will be no. I think most of them will be no.
fluffstardx 25 Jun 2004 19:28
10/17
Right, one more time:

almondVanHelsing wrote:

>Mecha Ghandi wrote:

>How does one use a PDA or
>a biro on a
>moving vehicle? There's just no
>getting round
>those pesky laws of
>physics...

>Exactly my point. If you can't
>play stylus games on the moving vehicle, then you
>loose that class of player (the "play it while
>going to and from work" class). Even if I don't
>see them, there must be more than just me in the
>world that does this.

He's being sarcastic. Every time i've ever caught the train, i've seen people doing crosswords or typing stuff up on laptops. If you can do that, you can use a stylus. And, if you still want to argue it... How do you delicately use an analogue stick then?

>>I don't know if there
>>is a specific age, but;
>>stylususizziz would be
>>easily and cheaply
>>replaced; there are plenty
>>of old people without
>>PDAs (which do something
>>else anyway); but yes,
>>lots of people will also
>>want PSPs.

>How cheap do you think styluses
>would be? I bet in the UK they would be at least
>two pounds.
>Older people with their PDAs are
>already playing their touch screen golf and card
>games. This is a market that Nintendo may wish
>to enter with PDA-like software, this is hinted
>in the feature.

Maybe the stylus on the final one is on a retractable core? Remember, Nintendo never said "final model". Neither did Sony. Both will probably get a redesign following people's impressions at E3. That's why they take stuff along- so people can give feedback and they don't even have to pay them.

And i believe Nintendo don't really care for older gamers- their market is mainly the under 30's at broadest.

>> >"Gimmiky kids games with
>>>old school licences against PS2
>> >in your
>>>pocket with GT4 and Wipeout."

>>Many would
>>argue Mario and Metroid are more than
>>gimmicky
>>kids games.

>Mario is a kid's game character
>(to many) and shooting with the stylus is a
>gimmik (to many).

Well, playing PS2 games on the move is a gimmick, as is the ability to link to your other Sony consoles. PS2 in my pocket really doesn't appeal; buggy games with little or no replay value are worthless. Games like Wario Ware and Mario Kart are endlessly playable. Tell me- how many times did you finish GT3? Once, maybe? Converesly, how many times did i finish, say, Ocarina of Time (7, by the way; once twice in a row)? Sony don't do replay, and that will cost them.

>>>"How organised do Nintendo
>>>think hand-held players are to get
>>>together for
>>>link-up games?"

>>Um, quite organised,
>>maybe...

>Obviously I have a different opinion
>of hand held gamers than you do. I think hand
>helds are best for filling in time when, perhaps,
>reading a book could be done. You think it's
>more like a substitute for a game of football, I
>think. We could be both right.

They are for both times. That's why games like Wario Ware are so good- each game lasts less than 15 seconds. How long is it going to take to do a lap on GT4- 8 minutes, from power on to lap end? And i know a LOT of organised handheld gamers. Look at Crystal Chronicles- 4 GBAs, 1 GCN. You think that'll happen with PSP? Why would they bother? Sony gamers are and always have been pretty quick-fix (with the excpetion of the petrolheads), and that is why publishers just recycle their games.

>>Neither DS or
>>PSP are available
>>yet, so you're unlikely to
>>see people wi-fi
>>gaming on a train.

>I didn't say "wi-fi gaming", I said "playing
>handhelds", you know like on a GBA or an N-Gage.
>I see people texting, maybe they are playing
>mobile games, but I don't think so, I see people
>reading books and newspapers and I see people
>staring out of the window. I don't see many
>people playing handhelds. This, I think, leads
>back to our different views on hand held
>gaming.

I see people using them every day on the way to work. Hell, when i used to travel far to work me and a friend used to have linkup Mario Kart sessions. Plus, this is where Sony are in trouble: the reason you don't see it that often is that the people who play them on trains etc are usually pre-teen kids.

>> And yes, if you're at home
>>you could well play consoles on a big screen
>>tv: except it will have to be totally
>>different games
>>without stylus control.

>And
>this is an earth shattering loss to me why? I
>don't need a stylus to play GT or burnout or
>Monkey Ball or any group games on my consoles.
>If I gather with friends to have a gaming
>g night, we don't all get out our GBAs and link
>cables! We drink beer and play console
>games.

You've totally missed the point: that's because up until now, there hasn't BEEN any. You have to see potential. Without innovation, nothing will ever change; people will just sit and play FIFA or Madden or whatever constantly, and nothing new will ever get a look in.

> >"None of these questions have been
>>asked!"

>I suspect for very good reason ;)

>What reason? You haven't made a reason in
>your post.

I think that the point he's making is these questions haven't been asked because the answers are easy.

>>I think that the DS
>>does sound
>>impressive. Even if the PSP does turn
>>out to be
>>more exciting, desirable and popular,
>>it
>>doesn't mean that the DS isn't a good
>>idea.

>It is a different idea, true.
>However I don't see it catching on in the
>mainstream. It may sell enough to cover its
>costs to Nintendo, but will it sell more than
>PSP? Will it sell more than GBA? Will it sell
>more than GBA2? Will SPOnG have a larger chart
>for DS games than it does for N-Gage?
>Some of
>those questions will be yes, some will be no. I
>think most of them will be no.

And you think the PSP will why? It's too expensive, the battery life's no good for one of the key features, and why anyone will buy a game twice just to use it on the rare occasion they're out of the house long enough to make it worth playing is lost on me.

Sony have failed to sell PSP to me; heck, i got rid of my PS2 a while back because it hadn't been played on in 3 months. The games are too samey and unoriginal, the major game series have lost all credibility and the "new" games that come out look tired and plain. Heck, the last innovative game i played on it was Jak II- a game which lasted an abysmal 2 month in my game collection before going to pastures new. On the other hand, my XBox has games i will replay forever- Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR. For me to buy a PSP, it's gotta be cheap, lasting, durable and with a good battery life to play the games that are easily switched off when i get where i'm going. The DS looks to fulfil all of that; the SP already does.
almondVanHelsing 25 Jun 2004 23:11
11/17
fluffstardx wrote:

>He's being sarcastic. Every time i've
>ever caught the train, i've seen people doing
>crosswords or typing stuff up on laptops. If you
>can do that, you can use a stylus. And, if you
>still want to argue it... How do you delicately
>use an analogue stick then?

You must ride on some smooth trains. I find it hard playing GBA on the trains I ride on. I used to find it hard to read a book before I got my GBA.

And one thing I can not support Sony for is the analog sticks! Delicate? :-)

>Maybe the stylus on
>the final one is on a retractable core? Remember,
>Nintendo never said "final model". Neither did
>Sony. Both will probably get a redesign following
>people's impressions at E3. That's why they take
>stuff along- so people can give feedback and they
>don't even have to pay them.

I think you mean cord? That is a good idea, I had not thought of it! That would help wih the styluses getting lost. On the other hand, Nintendo talk about cheap replacements for styluses, so maybe they have not thought of it either. Somebody should suggest it to them, it is a seriously good idea.

>And i believe
>Nintendo don't really care for older gamers-
>their market is mainly the under 30's at
>broadest.

Hmm, I am almost 30 and I see myself as an older gamer. Young gamers I see as under 16, older as over 25. At 25 you are usually long out of University and have a good job, you now have income to spend and can buy more expensive games/consoles/etc.

>Well,
>playing PS2 games on the move is a gimmick, as is
>the ability to link to your other Sony consoles.

This is true, sort of, playing PS2 games on the move is an evolution of playing SNES games on the move as with the GBA. Using a stylus to shoot or draw pac man is a gimmik.

>PS2 in my pocket really doesn't appeal; buggy
>games with little or no replay value are
>worthless. Games like Wario Ware and Mario Kart
>are endlessly playable. Tell me- how many times
>did you finish GT3? Once, maybe? Converesly, how
>many times did i finish, say, Ocarina of Time (7,
>by the way; once twice in a row)? Sony don't do
>replay, and that will cost them.

I never quite finished GT3, I enjoy playing it, but I'm not that good. My friend has played FFIX many times and that was on a Sony console. I keep coming back to Wipeout Fusion as it is a fun game, not as much as 2097, but that was a classic.

Sony not "doing replay" hasn't hurt them so far. And it's not just Sony (or Nintendo) that will be developing for these platforms, they have announced 99 (Nintendo have 100) other developers for the PSP.

>Why would they bother? Sony gamers are and >always
>have been pretty quick-fix (with the excpetion of
>the petrolheads), and that is why publishers just
>recycle their games.

Sony do quick-fix games, recycled games by other publishes? That sounds like replay to me. And if Sony games are quick-fix, what is 15 seconds Wario games?

>You've totally missed the
>point: that's because up until now, there hasn't
>BEEN any. You have to see potential. Without
>innovation, nothing will ever change; people
>will just sit and play FIFA or Madden or
>whatever constantly, and nothing new will ever
>get a look in.

I am happy with innovation, but you will never see stylus games for home consoles. Just as not many mouse/keyboard games are out for consoles.

Fishing rod games, camera games, microphone games and bongo games are not sweeping the market and taking over. One or two of each game, maybe selling many copies, but not the same number of titles as driving games, football games or even fighting games. Innovation of control methods is not changing the way most games are played.

>It is a different idea,
>true.
>However I don't see it catching on in
>the
>mainstream. It may sell enough to cover
>its
>costs to Nintendo, but will it sell more
>than
>PSP? Will it sell more than GBA? Will
>it sell
>more than GBA2? Will SPOnG have a
>larger chart
>for DS games than it does for
>N-Gage?
>Some of
>those questions will be yes,
>some will be no. I
>think most of them will be
>no.

>And you think the PSP will why? It's too
>expensive, the battery life's no good for one of
>the key features, and why anyone will buy a game
>twice just to use it on the rare occasion
>they're out of the house long enough to make it
>worth playing is lost on me.

It's not out yet, so expensive and battery life are not yet fixed. The estimates we see are not encouraging, true, but they are still guesses.

Whay would anybody buy all the Pokemon games for GBA? How much different can they be? And not all games on PSP will be the same games as are released on PS2.

>Sony have failed to sell PSP to me;

So far Nintendo have failed to sell the DS to me, doesn't mean that many people will not buy it.

My problem is that so many people seem to say that DS will change everything, it will make developers code up new and exciting games, it will change the way games are played. I don't see how. I would like answers as to how it can do this. I have not yet seen those answers. Shotting by tapping the screen, drawing pac man and driving a submarine by tapping on the controls do not seem as world shaking as everyone is saying they will be.
andey 26 Jun 2004 15:06
12/17
config wrote:

>It's early days yet, and only MP:H has caught my
>eye in this bunch. Pijctochat might be a bit of a
>laugh - kinda like a real-time E4 scetch thing.
>
>It does show that N are trying to expand on the
>how we interact with games, which has to be
>welcomed if only for our searing thumbs. I just
>hope someone moves beyond the seconds screen as a
>controller/map mindset.
yes i cant wailt tell it comes out over here and i am happy it came to Londen.
Joji 1 Jul 2004 00:22
13/17
I think I have to step in here.

Almond said:
My problem is that so many people seem to say that DS will change everything, it will make developers code up new and exciting games, it will change the way games are played. I don't see how. I would like answers as to how it can do this. I have not yet seen those answers. Shotting by tapping the screen, drawing pac man and driving a submarine by tapping on the controls do not seem as world shaking as everyone is saying they will be.

Dear Almond, It's up to other developers to come up with ideas to implement the options the DS has, to be honest I think this is a very good test for them, so we can really see who's has the brains and the balls. PSone and Ps2 have made so many developers lazy with their game design while looking for a good quick buck, and kisses for Sony. Driv3r series is a very good example of this laziness but many PS2 muppets buy it anyway, because it's Driv3r therefore it must be good apparently. If you are content to live in this town of smoke and mirrors the by all means book your room at the Castle Of Illusion, and tell Mickey you wanna stay forever. Some originality and good games do exist but they are few and becoming less.

Some of what Nintendo showed at E3 were example ideas, or very much like new blank canvas and paints to a group of artists. How well the game become are down to the developers, and do remember DS also has wi-fi, microphone along with the infamous stylus and screen. There's enough there to have a developers imagination ticking over as they leave E3, whereas PSP is more of a been there done that easy option, to making money for developers, that have been gettng fat off PS2 and want more of an easy ride.

If you don't open your mind and give developers a chance to convince you otherwise don't buy one until you are convinced. What I will say to you though is imagine a game that used all of these options above along with the normal controls.

Uses for micro phone: Imagine being a football game and your team are playing rubbish and losing. If you had the option to verbally give a good or bad criticism to your team to spur them on to win. You wanna shout blasphemy at them, or be gentle with them you can, the result of your action could build their confidence to win the game. If Sven won't do it I'd love to be able to, and it would certainly make FIFA/ISS or football management games much more fun. Match commentry would also become a nice possibility.

There's lots more stuff that could be done with verbal options. From karaoke games to cross examining witnesses in a lawyer game or criminal suspects in a cop game and the DS game characters could respond would accordingly.

These are just some ideas I've had, but if your imagination is better please have a go. As for the stylus and screen I still think RTS games would be one genre that could benefit from a move to DS. I'll leave any other ideas to the experts.



almondVanHelsing 1 Jul 2004 19:15
14/17
Joji wrote:

>Dear Almond, It's up to other
>developers to come up with ideas to implement the
>options the DS has, to be honest I think this is
>a very good test for them, so we can really see
>who's has the brains and the balls. PSone and Ps2
>have made so many developers lazy with their game
>design while looking for a good quick buck, and
>kisses for Sony. Driv3r series is a very good
>example of this laziness but many PS2 muppets buy
>it anyway, because it's Driv3r therefore it must
>be good apparently. If you are content to live in
>this town of smoke and mirrors the by all means
>book your room at the Castle Of Illusion, and
>tell Mickey you wanna stay forever. Some
>originality and good games do exist but they are
>few and becoming less.

Dear Joji, while you may not mean to you sound very condescending in this paragraph. I am not a simple minded child who needs Mickey Mouse analagies to understand your points.

I do not think the lack of a stylus, twin screens, microphone or wireless is why there are fewer inventive games these days. I believe it is "hollywood blockbuster syndrome". By this I mean as games have got more involved and longer to develop they have reached a point where publishers will not take too much of a risk on new concepts. In the same way as Hollywood films now take fewer risks because budgets have become huge.

Those who do take risks and produce good games often lose out to mass produced no-thought games such as EA are good at producing. Meanwhile "Grand Theft Also" games and other re-invent the wheel nonsense sells like hot cakes.

I have tried Driver3 and will not be buying it, the main game is almost unplayable for me and some of the mini games, while fun, are pointlessly hard and bug filled to be really enjoyable.

>These are just some ideas I've
>had, but if your imagination is better please
>have a go. As for the stylus and screen I still
>think RTS games would be one genre that could
>benefit from a move to DS. I'll leave any other
>ideas to the experts.

All of your ideas are good, Joji, but I think they are not going to catch on in the market for hand held gaming. Imagine the looks you will get interrogating a witness while playing on a bus or train! :-)

Also, I assume these microphone games will be ported to the PS2 using the SingStar microphone?

I imagine that Lucus Arts point and click adventure games will go down very well on the DS. If I can get Monkey Island or Beneath a Steel Sky for DS, I will most probably get one. However, I don't see this innovation in hand held technology taking over the world. I don't imagine PSP2 will have a touch screen, I don't imagine that GBA2 (GBE?) will have a microphone either.
Brutus 7 Jul 2004 19:53
15/17
I think I'm a regular Joe gamer.
I'll tell you something when it comes to portable gaming. When I need to do something with a spare moment here or there, I break out my cell phone and play a little MotoGP, or Bowling. Why? Because I know I don't want to spend 40 hours staring at a little screen.
My Motorola Comes with a back-lit screen, has multiple functions. If I ever need to share gaming time with anyone else, we plan a LAN party or meet up online.
I think that portable games are for those who have absolutely nothing going for them in life. I'm too busy for it all.
I enjoy games, but hate portable gamers. Is it because of the last statement? Yes.
I won't ever be a portable gamer, & hence will never care; unless the day comes when HALO comes on a cell phone near you. I might finish a game then!
Joji 7 Jul 2004 23:02
16/17
Well good luck to you, Config. Each to their own and it would be a boring game if we all like the same thing anyway.

I think that GBASP fixed the back lit problem GB series always had, and witht that problem solved portable gaming is more accessable to more people.

I own a original GBA (which I play a lot at home under a nice desktop halogen lamp) and PC amongst other kit, and I know how much games I miss because my PC is a low spec piece of trash. This is the problem with PC's for me, the constant upgrading and keeping up with the Jones's next door to just enjoy a simple game. This is the beauty of consoles, it's all about the games.

The good thing about portable gaming is you can play anywhere anytime with no hassles. At work, at home, in the bath relaxing, or on the toilet straining (LOL my older brother used to do this much with my GB, even though I hated the very thought of it) or after sex instead of a fag. Fun and quick gaming can be had anywhere your mind can imagine be it 5 mins of Warioware, or longer quests like LoZ. What you enjoy is up to you, you just have to find the right games.

GBASP is also good for those mundane moments, like waiting in line at the post office when there's a very big line. I love my PC and consoles, but I don't want so much eyestrain sometimes.

All in all I guess it's about what sort of games and graphic limits you are prepared to accept in what you buy, but if portables aren't your thing fair enough.
config 8 Jul 2004 09:46
17/17
Hey. I'm Config, he's Brutus.

:)
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.