Sports Interactive, the developer of the award-winning Championship Manager series of PC and console games, has been confirmed as the official trophy sponsor of the Watford FC Testimonial Day event. A special tournament will be held on Saturday 24th May.
Former Watford, England and AC Milan striker, Luther Blissett has organised a testimonial day to raise funds to help buy back the freehold of the Vicarage Road ground as part of Watford FC's recently launched 'Let's Buy Back the Vic' campaign.
"A Testimonial is a tribute given for services or achievements," explains Luther. "The Golden Boys have certainly achieved a great deal this season in difficult circumstances and the club has served the local community well over many years."
"Sports Interactive is delighted to support such a worthy cause, as we have with many others throughout the last few seasons," said Miles Jacobson, managing director of Sports Interactive. "We are always happy to give something back to the sport and I hope our contribution cements the survival of such a club that is very dear to many of the development team's hearts."The celebration of football event is to feature a series of matches:
Stars already signed-up to play on the day include:
- Sky TV's Dream Team, Harchester United vs. a Celebrity XI.
- An ex-Watford & ex-International X1 vs. a Hertfordshire Select XI.
- A Children's curtain raiser.
- Vinnie Jones, Ross Davidson, Grant Bovey, Tim Lovejoy, Gary Beadle, Bradley Walsh, Nigel Winterburn, Paul Davis, Paul Hendy and Mike McClean.
- Watford stars from the past who are playing include Luther Blissett, Nigel Gibbs, Jimmy Gilligan, Ronny Rosenthal and John Barnes.
- The Testimonial Day Event will be held at Vicarage Road on Saturday 24th May.