PS3 worldwide ship in November 2006

Full report from PlayStation Business Briefing 2006

Posted by Staff
PS3 worldwide ship in November 2006
Sony boss Ken Kutaragi kicked off the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006 conference in Tokyo earlier today with the following statement: "It is my aim to clear things up about the PlayStation 3 today. The PS2, the PS3, the network, and Future Cell Network, this will all be addressed."

The hastily organised special conference was arranged for 3pm today (Tokyo time) following on from rumours of an official PS3 delay announcement in Japan?s business press yesterday. Commentators noted how Kutaragi played the event much like Apple?s Steve Jobs, drip feeding bits of information out, saving ?the best? till last. Seems like everyone wants to copy Apple these days.

Full reports on new PSP features and accessories to follow shortly, but firstly, the most important question: when will the PS3 launch? Mr Kutaragi assured the attendees at today?s press conference that there will be a worldwide ship this coming November.

Yes, that?s worldwide ? meaning Asia, America and Europe. Meaning that it is still possible, according to Sony, that you may well be playing your own PlayStation 3 this coming Christmas. This is sure to kick-start much discussion about the feasibility of this strategy in practice.

Additionally, Sony plan to release one million units per month after launch, with a total of six million units planned for to be shipped by the end of March 2007. These planned production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.

One cynical wag in the SPOnG office commented earlier on first hearing the news: ?I mean, I'd like one for Christmas. But a November ship means Xmas shortages in three territories. Plus that announcement is just to spoil Xbox 360's Xmas in Europe. PS3 will not launch here until next March/April.?

You can of course let us know your own thoughts on this matter in the forums below. Back to the SCEI party line, David Reeves, Big Boss of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe told the BBC this morning that: "We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas? This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally."

In a press release just sent out across Europe in the last hour the company announced: ?PS3 incorporates the final specifications of BD (Blu-ray Disc), and with the overwhelming computing power of PS3, it enables to playback BD software at a high bit rate. With a maximum storage capacity of 50 GB (dual layer) and robust security, BD is a highly anticipated storage medium that delivers digital entertainment content such as games and movies at an unparalleled level of image quality?. PS3 is compatible with a vast lineup of television sets currently out in the market, from standard-definition TV to full high-definition TV?. Users can also connect PS3 to high-speed broadband network through Gigabit Ethernet and comfortably enjoy a wide-range of rich and exciting content and services over the network.?

Technically, Kutaragi announced that the PS3 will be "100% backwards compatible," and that "all legacy titles played on the system will be displayed at high-definition resolutions," similar to the Xbox 360's backwards compatible upscaling.

The PS3?s hard drive "will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS? plus ?will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere." It hasn't yet been made clear if all PS3 systems will come bundled with a hard drive. SPOnG expects that this will be the case, and we will be very surprised otherwise, but watch this space for confirmation.

Of course the delay till later in 2006 has been widely expected for some time and is largely due to hold-ups in BD commercialization and issues with the copy protection system for BD and the competing HD DVD, (the Advanced Access Content System - AACS) which is being developed by a group of eight companies: IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Disney and Warner Bros.

Kutaragi assured the huddled masses in attendance that "all PlayStation 3 games will ship on Blu-ray to help prevent piracy," with initial BD-ROM production expected to reach 2.5 million in Japan and Europe and 5 million in the US.

Next up, and here is where things get a little more interesting and ?imaginative?, we get some details on the PS3?s online service and the fact that PS3 games will be 4-dimensional. Yes, Sony just invented a whole new dimension!

The PS3?s online offering "will feature community tools including lobby matching and voice chat?. ? and ?commerce features that includes bootable software via the hard drive." It will also act as a wireless hub for PSP. The ?basic? online service will be provided free of charge. Few details on the paid-for service as yet. Watch this space.

Kutaragi then went on to say that the "games are 'live' and that the PS3 concept is '4D,'" contextualising this with a potted-history of console titles which Kutaragi sees as going "from 8-bit to 16-bit planes, to the 'space' that you saw on the PS1/PS2, and now PS3 [which] will be 'live.'" Two words. Emotion Engine.

Well, on that bombshell. Sony it seems have not only invented an amazing new games machine, they?ve also invented a whole new dimension. Comments and ideas as to what the PlayStation 3?s fourth dimension could be in the forums below please.

As another SPOnG wag opined earlier: ?The unfortunate thing is this 4D stuff works! I can already hear the kids talking about it on the bus ? ?It's fuckin' 4D innit!??

Final full-spec PS3 dev kits will be shipping out to production houses in June. These will include the final specs for Cell, the final RSX graphics chip, the final Blu-ray specs, and will be at a cost close to that of a PS2 development kit. 15 different companies will be making SDK tools and middleware for the PS3.

No news on software and no confirmation on pricing as of yet, both of which will hopefully be unveiled at GDC next week in Phil Harrison?s keynote speech 'PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box'.







Companies:
People:

Comments

Showing the 20 most recent comments. Read all 53.
Anonymous2006 16 Mar 2006 18:41
34/53
tyrion wrote:
When the PS2 lost some compatibility with the PS1 Sony announced it up front and listed the games. They've played it fairly straight in the past as regards compatibility, no reason to assume they are bullshitting now.


They will use an emulator and claim 100% compatibility. Knowing Sony's track record of poor software designs and implementation. I am seriously sceptical about their bullish claims.

I agree with you there is no way to be sure. But based on previous Sony deliveries, my choice is not to believe them.

They even did not manage to code their rootkit properly :D lol


soanso 16 Mar 2006 20:00
35/53
and don't forget some games needed hardware to be played too. As far as I can see the PS3 has no controller ports for the old stuff.

I'm not really that interested in PS3. I don't care about high def movies and son on. I bought a lot of dvds when they were new(ish) and I never watch them. Why do I care about buying them again!

I don't expect the console to cost that much though. It might be higher than the 360 but the point about psp is a good one.
That online plan sounds a bit more promising. sony seemed to have no plan.
so we have a date and an outline. I'm waiting on the controller and some games.
more comments below our sponsor's message
Joji 16 Mar 2006 21:03
36/53
This is the reason I keep my consoles and don't sell them off, becausse when they say the next machine will run that game plus more, so far this hasn't been really true. I hope Nintendo stick to their promise of such.

I still have my PS1 and I bet I'll still have my PS2 for a long time too. This is the only way to be sure all you games collection will run.

I do like the sound of the free online plan, because if Sony and Nintendo do it this way MS might also fall in line for a non payment system. That't the way it should be since gaming is gonna get more expensive with PS3 and 360.

LUPOS 16 Mar 2006 21:08
37/53
Joji wrote:
This is the reason I keep my consoles and don't sell them off, becausse when they say the next machine will run that game plus more, so far this hasn't been really true. I hope Nintendo stick to their promise of such.

I still have my PS1 and I bet I'll still have my PS2 for a long time too. This is the only way to be sure all you games collection will run.


plus they look so super nerdy cool on the corner shelf in my living room... my whole collection from coleco though to the dream cast... xbox,cube, and 360 are still hooked up.

soem day id like to get crazy componenet switching set up and have em all more easly playable though.
vault 13 17 Mar 2006 06:44
38/53
LUPOS wrote:
soem day id like to get crazy componenet switching set up and have em all more easly playable though.


Just say the word and I'll get all the switchboxes and line amplifiers and signal splitters you need. I am how they say, "hooked up".

As for Anonymous, we should hail him as king! He's the only one who continously makes all of laugh with his misinformation.

As for this whole "Sony's up to their old tricks again...", just shut it kids. Remember it was Nintendo who dropped the ball on the CD add-on for the Super Nintendo. The whole "project reality" fizzled and Sony had only one choice, to create their own game system. They've succeeded twice now. Put themselves on top. And we have a great wide selection of games to show for it.

Sure they made a hard to program for system (PS2), fell through on some promises (actually can't think of any key examples right now but I'll give that they have had some flubs), and their online system is a joke, but Sony rules. Sony took the cool torch from Sega and is running full speed.

If your gonna be a Sony hater at least recognize that no one wanted Microsoft in the game, no one wanted Microsoft to buy out Bungie (I was happy with Myth 1,2,3 and having Halo only on the PC and MAC), and no one wanted the Xbox 1 for a few years (no games = s**t system folks). At least Sony had decent line ups.

Destruction Derby, Loaded, Jumpin' Flash, Wipeout, and Warhawk for PS1

Tekken Tournament Tag, SSX, DOA2: Hardcore, Dynasty Warriors 2 for PS2

Those are not bad lineups.

Show me what XBox and 360 have better and I'll shut up. And Halo doesn't count because they had to buy that out.
tyrion 17 Mar 2006 08:48
39/53
Anonymous2006 wrote:
They will use an emulator and claim 100% compatibility. Knowing Sony's track record of poor software designs and implementation. I am seriously sceptical about their bullish claims.

Sorry, what track record is that? I'm having a hard time thinking of a Sony software product that has such poor software designs and implementations as to garner public attention and mistrust. All the in-house Sony produced games I've seen have been good to excellent. The PSP firmware is really quite good, a few bugs and holes, but then you expect that and they close them quickly. Hell, even the PS2's operating system is so good you never even think about it.

Anonymous2006 wrote:
They even did not manage to code their rootkit properly :D lol

Now we know you are a fanboy of some other system, or just a Sony hater.

The whole root kit fiasco has as much to do with SCEI as the Rodney King affair has with the NYPD. Sure the LAPD and the NYPD are both American police forces, but that's a thin link there.

Sony BMG, a join venture of Sony and BMG, sourced a DRM scheme from a third party. That DRM scheme turned out to be a root kit that opened PCs up to invasion by hackers. Sony BMG checked with their third party supplier and passed on the message that there was nothing wrong. When it was obvious there actually was something wrong, Sony BMG then issued a fix, from the third party, that made things worse. Sony BMG then issued a removal tool that worked and offered to replace discs and give free downloads to people who were affected.

Sounds like a Sony joint venture was shafted by a third party supplier and then moved to sort things out. The worst you can say about it is that Sony BMG should have checked out the software themselves before deploying it. However, that's why you use a supposedly experienced third party supplier, because you don't know how to do it yourself.

Nothing to do with SCEI, little to do with Sony in general, unfortunate for Sony BMG and so much cheap fodder for Sony haters on the web.
miacid 17 Mar 2006 08:53
40/53
Anonymous2006 wrote:
They even did not manage to code their rootkit properly :D lol


Just a quick note, if you are referring to their copy protection system on audio CD's, it was not Sony who programed it, it was a UK company called First 4 Internet using the XCP software which they created.
majin dboy 17 Mar 2006 11:54
41/53
vault,the only reason sony have succeded,is because of idiotic casual gamers who think they know stuff about games bcuz they have GTA and read the bcak covers of games. but in reality,they dont know s**t.
thane_jaw 17 Mar 2006 15:05
42/53
vault 13 wrote:

As for this whole "Sony's up to their old tricks again...", just shut it kids. Remember it was Nintendo who dropped the ball on the CD add-on for the Super Nintendo. The whole "project reality" fizzled and Sony had only one choice, to create their own game system. They've succeeded twice now. Put themselves on top. And we have a great wide selection of games to show for it.

Sure they made a hard to program for system (PS2), fell through on some promises (actually can't think of any key examples right now but I'll give that they have had some flubs), and their online system is a joke, but Sony rules. Sony took the cool torch from Sega and is running full speed.

Emotion engine are the words you're looking for, Sony will never be able to live that one down.

Definately muchos kudos to Sony for being in the position they are and for generating enough developer interest to create their impressive catalogue of games.

However just because Sony is the current market leader doesn't mean that they will automatically be a good choice for this next generation.

"Sony took the cool torch from Sega and is running full speed."

What happened to sega again? Anyway I see no indication of the full speed just yet.

With regards to the launch/lineup titles, Halo does count because firstly (and most importantly) its on the xbox and secondly it is sufficiently removed from the orignal rts that it was going to be on the mac (with rideable dinosaurs no less) as to be a whole different game - albeit with a similar background content.

Whether I can name any other truly great launch titles? no not really. I guess geometry wars probably doesn't count because its not full price retail. Neither does PDZ because MS bought RARE. Ditto with Kameo. Does condemned count? PGR 3?

Granted none of these are the real deal AAA titles that you'd want to see your system at launch. But I could also argue that no one was really impressed by anything on the ps2 until gta3 came out. I'd have to say that the ps2 line up listed was good at best. Nothing amazing. So kinda similar to most launches then? And it will probably be a similar case with the ps3 launch, except there'll be tried and tested decent games like Fight Night Round 3 and Condemned available closer to launch day.
Anonymous2006 17 Mar 2006 15:41
43/53
tyrion wrote:
Sorry, what track record is that? I'm having a hard time thinking of a Sony software product that has such poor software designs and implementations as to garner public attention and mistrust. All the in-house Sony produced games I've seen have been good to excellent ... Hell, even the PS2's operating system is so good you never even think about it.


I was not talking about Sony's games. But about Sony's machine software.

- PSP features, look at the poor features of 1.0, 2.5 is better but still far from what they could have provided.
- The all-in-one white box PS2 which could play medias, record dvds, and which flopped. Did not have half the features they promised.
- Sony's other consumer device products: audio player, cameras, etc. Software is far to be great.

tyrion wrote:
Now we know you are a fanboy of some other system, or just a Sony hater.


This was a joke :D And shown me that even with smileys jokes do not go well online :D As someone else mentionned it's not even Sony, but XCP who coded it. And as you said it is Sony/BMG.

Regarding the track record though, I encompass Sony as a whole. Sony is generally not known for good software engineering.

And on a personal note, I am not a Sony hater, I like Sony, I like my PS2 and my 60 original games, but I hate corporate lies and bullshit.

I do not even have an XBOX and do not plan to buy a 360. So I am not a M$ fan either.
Ditto 17 Mar 2006 16:05
44/53
Anonymous2006 wrote:

Regarding the track record though, I encompass Sony as a whole. Sony is generally not known for good software engineering.


I don't know much about Sony's software engineering, however the Cell programming model and basic tool chain were developed by IBM who have exceptional software engineering ability.

Cell development kits and details on Cell programming techniques are already available to developers.
vault 13 17 Mar 2006 21:30
45/53
thane_jaw wrote:
Emotion engine are the words you're looking for, Sony will never be able to live that one down.


Live down what? A marketing buzz word used to indicate that the PS2 is going to usher in a new generation of gaming and graphics (we all know Sega did that first with the Dreamcast but anyway...).

thane_jaw wrote:
What happened to sega again? Anyway I see no indication of the full speed just yet.


Uhhh, how many Dreamcast games are being produced now. Sony trounced them for better or worse.

thane_jaw wrote:
With regards to the launch/lineup titles, Halo does count because firstly (and most importantly) its on the xbox and secondly it is sufficiently removed from the orignal rts that it was going to be on the mac (with rideable dinosaurs no less) as to be a whole different game - albeit with a similar background content.


RTS? It's was going to be multiplayer massive online battles, maybe even a persistent world. No RTS and definitely no dinosaurs. You obviously didn't see the bagillion videos online or watch the Halo 2 special disc and see how similar the game is and was to the Xbox versions. If you want to attribute the game looking better and more polished just because Billy G. bought them out, you're wrong. If BIll Gates bought me out, I'm not going to magically produce good games for him. Bungie was doing fine with Myth 1,2,3 and the most likely release of Halo on PC and Mac.

thane_jaw wrote:
Whether I can name any other truly great launch titles? no not really. I guess geometry wars probably doesn't count because its not full price retail. Neither does PDZ because MS bought RARE. Ditto with Kameo. Does condemned count? PGR 3?


See right there, it proves my point that Microsoft had to STRUGGLE to get people to develop for their system. No one, developer or consumer wanted them into the mix. They had to buy out and convince japanese developers that the XBox is a worthwhile system to work on. I will admit and say that Microsoft's push for gaming standards (720p, 5.1 sound) is ultimately good. But obviously done to say their games have an edge over others because all of their games do this and have that standard.

thane_jaw wrote:
Granted none of these are the real deal AAA titles that you'd want to see your system at launch. But I could also argue that no one was really impressed by anything on the ps2 until gta3 came out. I'd have to say that the ps2 line up listed was good at best. Nothing amazing. So kinda similar to most launches then? And it will probably be a similar case with the ps3 launch, except there'll be tried and tested decent games like Fight Night Round 3 and Condemned available closer to launch day.


Ummm Twisted Metal Black, SSX, SSX: Tricky, Gran Turismo 3, Ace Combat 4, ICO, Kolona 2, Zone of the Enders just to name a few.

Remember ICO is regarded as one of the best games of all time and I agree.

Xbox didn't have anything for at least a year after worth buying or even to get me to think about buying it.
thane_jaw 17 Mar 2006 23:49
46/53
vault 13 wrote:
thane_jaw wrote:
Emotion engine are the words you're looking for, Sony will never be able to live that one down.


Live down what? A marketing buzz word used to indicate that the PS2 is going to usher in a new generation of gaming and graphics (we all know Sega did that first with the Dreamcast but anyway...).


it was the way it was presented as something that the final product was clearly not and could never be.

vault 13 wrote:
thane_jaw wrote:
What happened to sega again? Anyway I see no indication of the full speed just yet.


Uhhh, how many Dreamcast games are being produced now. Sony trounced them for better or worse.


I was trying to make the point that drawing comparisons between Sega and Sony was strange given what has ultimately happened to Sega. The full speed was in reference to the fact that Sony haven't been seen to be going guns out with the PS3 launch just yet. I'm sure they are, but they have been slippages - not something you'd expect with a company going full out to achieve a console launch.

vault 13 wrote:
thane_jaw wrote:
With regards to the launch/lineup titles, Halo does count because firstly (and most importantly) its on the xbox and secondly it is sufficiently removed from the orignal rts that it was going to be on the mac (with rideable dinosaurs no less) as to be a whole different game - albeit with a similar background content.


RTS? It's was going to be multiplayer massive online battles, maybe even a persistent world. No RTS and definitely no dinosaurs. You obviously didn't see the bagillion videos online or watch the Halo 2 special disc and see how similar the game is and was to the Xbox versions. If you want to attribute the game looking better and more polished just because Billy G. bought them out, you're wrong. If BIll Gates bought me out, I'm not going to magically produce good games for him. Bungie was doing fine with Myth 1,2,3 and the most likely release of Halo on PC and Mac.


I have a series of videos with bungie doing voice overs of the different halo builds. These videos were given away as part of an official U.K. xbox magazine coverdisc pre halo 2 launch. They show the original e3 demo for Halo and comment that although it looked like impressive AI it was all scripted. They also mention that in early designs there were plans to include rideable beasts - which looked liked dinosaurs, which were implemented in the game (with proper models and skins) although ultimately dropped. Whilst reviewing this early build they also talk about the fact that the Halo was originally designed as an unfinished ring although again this was later dropped. Amongst other things they said that Halo was originally designed to be a RTS, although this was changed when Microsoft bought them out.



vault 13 wrote:
thane_jaw wrote:
Whether I can name any other truly great launch titles? no not really. I guess geometry wars probably doesn't count because its not full price retail. Neither does PDZ because MS bought RARE. Ditto with Kameo. Does condemned count? PGR 3?


See right there, it proves my point that Microsoft had to STRUGGLE to get people to develop for their system. No one, developer or consumer wanted them into the mix. They had to buy out and convince japanese developers that the XBox is a worthwhile system to work on. I will admit and say that Microsoft's push for gaming standards (720p, 5.1 sound) is ultimately good. But obviously done to say their games have an edge over others because all of their games do this and have that standard.


I'm not sure that people didn't want them in the mix. You could say that people were indifferent to them and ultimately a lot of people were sceptical whether MS, a tradionally software based company, could successfully retail a console at market for profit - which it turns out they couldn't, at least not at the moment. They did have to struggle to get people involved, but by constantly spending money they have started to attract developers.

vault 13 wrote:
thane_jaw wrote:
Granted none of these are the real deal AAA titles that you'd want to see your system at launch. But I could also argue that no one was really impressed by anything on the ps2 until gta3 came out. I'd have to say that the ps2 line up listed was good at best. Nothing amazing. So kinda similar to most launches then? And it will probably be a similar case with the ps3 launch, except there'll be tried and tested decent games like Fight Night Round 3 and Condemned available closer to launch day.


Ummm Twisted Metal Black, SSX, SSX: Tricky, Gran Turismo 3, Ace Combat 4, ICO, Kolona 2, Zone of the Enders just to name a few.

Remember ICO is regarded as one of the best games of all time and I agree.

Xbox didn't have anything for at least a year after worth buying or even to get me to think about buying it.



Different strokes for different folks? None of those, aside from possibly gran turismo 3, sold the console. Brandstrength alone did that (maybe with some help from back compatability). The first true killer app the ps2 had was gta 3.
Anonymous2006 18 Mar 2006 03:55
47/53
Another example of miserable Sony software: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSP-Media-Manager-1-0-Reviewed-and-found-inadequate-/pg/49/aid/11190

The question therefore is. Can anyone tell me some good software made by Sony?

I am ready to accept I am wrong, but I would really like to get at least one example. One will do, no need to make a big list. Just one software aimed at consumers use (not a game) which is well done.
Piranha 20 Mar 2006 14:00
48/53
Anonymous2006 wrote:

The question therefore is. Can anyone tell me some good software made by Sony?


The CD player on the PS1.........oh hang on, did you say GOOD or the WORST EVER software made by Sony?!?!

A also remember seeing the media player for the Japanese import of the machine and it all looked black on funky..... Then for some VERY odd reason they assumed the european market would prefer something grey that looked like an old calculator!!

Piranha 20 Mar 2006 15:29
49/53
thane_jaw wrote:
See right there, it proves my point that Microsoft had to STRUGGLE to get people to develop for their system. No one, developer or consumer wanted them into the mix. They had to buy out and convince japanese developers that the XBox is a worthwhile system to work on. I will admit and say that Microsoft's push for gaming standards (720p, 5.1 sound) is ultimately good. But obviously done to say their games have an edge over others because all of their games do this and have that standard.


When I started in the games industry my first job was porting a PS2 game to the Xbox. I can backup the claim that developers didnt really want the xbox be to a success, most people in my company just wanted it to fail and slated it whenever they could.

I dont think that they were never wanted in the market, more that Sony was seen as "The Cool Kid" - they're marketing did the trick - and people blindly formed opinions, just as they are doing so this next generation.

I remember everybody laughing and slating Microsoft for making a console, with comments such as:

"Its a pc in a small box"
"They're trying to take over your living room by stealth!!!"

Its funny now how Sony announce that the PS3 will be an all in one Media Centre Hub in your living room with Linux installed......... isnt that exactly what people critizised Microsoft for trying to do!!!

This generation both Sony and Microsoft are being more direct about what it is they're both trying to achieve - which is both to control the huge revenues that a computer in everyones living room will bring via music/film/games/tv/voip in a simple user friendly system.

It makes me laugh how Microsoft is perceived as the Enemy thats forcing its way into peoples homes via unscrupulous methods (The EVIL that is Bill Gates), whereas Sony is seen as the consumers friend making great games consoles just for the sheer love of making us all happy while showering our living rooms with daisys of joy.......oh and they also happen to make Hi-Def TV/Plasma/LCD screens and Home Hi-Fis/Portable music/video players/games machines...... as well as owning a huge amount of film/music content through Sony Music and Sony Pictures.......Anyone see a connection! ;)

I just care about whether or not I can play a decent game irrelevant of whether or not its on the most popular system...who cares! Sure, Sony didnt want them in the market, but we as consumers should. I dont think Sony PS3 plans would have been this ambitious if Microsoft was not chasing on its heels!

Footnote:

Just out of interest, has anyone else noticed that most of the so called "exclusive" content on any given console is actually just a delayed launch for the other consoles by maybe 2-3 months...... This is usually done by the publisher getting paid money by the console maker to hold back the release on the other platforms...........
So next time we applaude any console for having a game "exclusive" or "first" its usually because they paid huge sums of money to make sure others couldnt play it!! Not exactly a benefit for the consumer, unless being able to say "I can play it on my console! ...And you cant! Nah Nah" actually counts.

Microsoft may have been seen to buy its way into the console market, but Sony in many ways has paid to keep others out of the market.....
vault 13 20 Mar 2006 17:43
50/53
Well the point is interesting, and I don't really want my gaming system to be all in one (because we all know that the Jensen tv with the built in DVD player and VCR just sucks ass), but I don't think SOny has the same marketing and business strageties as Microsoft. It always seems like Microsoft is trying to devour the competition, while Sony seems to welcome it. Now it may just be the media protraying it that way. But look at when Microsoft released C# to counter C++ or when they forced you to use IE and ACTUALLY went in and disabled and rerouted your browsing attempts to IE or how they keep forcing you to use Windows and all it's complementary products and locking out others. Just try and install Linux after a Windows partition is on that sucker. Microsoft just wants to be the ONLY game in town, despite current claims that they like the Sony competition. The Sony integration seems more optional. There not shutting out products that can fit nicely between the PS3. Anyone with me on this?
Piranha 20 Mar 2006 18:11
51/53
vault 13 wrote:
Well the point is interesting, and I don't really want my gaming system to be all in one (because we all know that the Jensen tv with the built in DVD player and VCR just sucks ass), but I don't think SOny has the same marketing and business strageties as Microsoft. It always seems like Microsoft is trying to devour the competition, while Sony seems to welcome it. Now it may just be the media protraying it that way. But look at when Microsoft released C# to counter C++ or when they forced you to use IE and ACTUALLY went in and disabled and rerouted your browsing attempts to IE or how they keep forcing you to use Windows and all it's complementary products and locking out others. Just try and install Linux after a Windows partition is on that sucker. Microsoft just wants to be the ONLY game in town, despite current claims that they like the Sony competition. The Sony integration seems more optional. There not shutting out products that can fit nicely between the PS3. Anyone with me on this?


I agree with you about Microsofts history of locking out competition, DirectX versus OpenGL was another interesting example, but i think maybe Microsofts been less than subtle about its tactics than Sony has. Microsoft being an American company has the american ethos of "We're bigger, better and have more than you" thing going on. Where'as Sony being Japanese tends to mirror the Japanese ethos of Respect & himility and less aggresive business practices.

I think though in practice they both have the same fundemental "Business Strategy" which is to make money.


vault 13 20 Mar 2006 18:56
52/53
Always...
OptimusP 20 Mar 2006 19:28
53/53
Wait, this discussion looks familiar. The difference and similarities between Sony and MS is a very interesting topic tough.

A common thing would be that both companies are using gaming to put their multimedia hubs under your telly... using in a sense that if it doesn't make a profit they'll drop it as fast as possible (being the major difference between Sony and MS on one side and the Big N on the other, Nintendo can't drop gaming, they don't use it, it's their way of life as a company). They both want to control your living room, MS in a software kind of manner, Sony in a hardware kind of manner.
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.