Japan welcomes PS3, shuns Xbox 360

1,000 people can't be wrong, can they?

Posted by Staff
According to market research specialists Info Plant and C-News, by way of GameDaily, Sony's PS3 is currently taking the lion's share of Japan's next-gen conciousness. The analysts questioned 1,000 people between the ages of 10 and 59 on their intention to buy the next generation of consoles from Sony, Ninendo and Microsoft. An astounding 60 percent of the respondents revealed they would be interested in the Playstation3, followed by only eight percent showing interest in Nintendo's Revolution. At the back of the line comes the Xbox 360, which so far has managed to generate interest in just two percent of those questioned.

This is a truly an amazing revelation, considering that the 360 is the only tangible product of the three. PS3 and Revolution are still in the realms of moving specs, made all too clear by recent news that the PS3's router has been ditched, making the results of this survey a victory for these Japanese giant's marketing teams.

Of concern to Microsoft is the apparent lack of interest in the face of the company's aggressive courtship with high profile Japanese developers. It would seem that no matter how many well known Japanese brands it gets on board, it's just not enough to trigger that must-have impulse.

However, it's still some time from the 360 launch, leaving plenty of time for US behemoth to tweak its eastern marketing strategy. Indeed, as we reported last week, 25 July is the date that Xbox 360 gets "a product unveiling on the scale of E3". Stay with SPOnG for details of the event as it breaks.
Companies:

Comments

Showing the 20 most recent comments. Read all 33.
GeoffreyBa 18 Jul 2005 15:20
14/33
Pistol-Pat wrote:
config wrote:
Pistol-Pat wrote:
There strategy is much different then Sony's which is copy as much of the competitions strategy and products as possible while still having people convinced that what they are doing is cool and original.


So you're saying that Sony's strategy with PS1 was to emulate Sega and it's Saturn campaign?

No, I don't think so.

And the PS2? That was based on the Dreamcast's fedit strategy?

Really, I think this gen is the first time Sony have had a competitor who's strategy has been worthy of taking note.

On the other hand you have Microsoft's strategy which is make their console such a good deal right now with all the coolest games that no one can pass it up


See, I don't think it's such as great deal, and I don't think Xbox has all the coolest games. So it's clear someone can pass it up.


Well in the ....quote]
To Pistol-Pat and Config, I think I may be able to shed some light on what each of you meant to each other. When Pistol first said about Playstation copying strategy it could easily be said that in fact playstation was copying saturn just because of the disc drive. That doesn't really make the point relevent though. Something I do think that was copied partially was the eyetoy thing. It was merely the same thing as a gameboy camera for a console at first but they did in fact make it something more. Which proves both points equally I feel. And the second point you were trying to make Pistol-Pat is that the companies strategies seemed correct to you which config then rebuttled that it wasn't for him. There is and was no need to call him and idiot then say that it was all based on your opinion so I think you both kind of cleared that one up yourself.

Now onto my own opinion, 1000 people is in no spectrum a good sample. I do not care if there are some professional surveys that take from that or a smaller sample size. I've done surveys for a class that needed a sample size of atleast 1000 people, and that was still when I was in high school. I've done three already with sample sizes of 2000 or more people for classes in college. So I see no real problem with finding more people then that, and I must say that after being to Japan, and to the Tokyo electronic district it would be very easy to get more people. Now the results I see no problem with because the Japanese really do like to stick with what they know and no matter what if you stick two japansese companies against one american company you'll get similar results.
DaPistolPat 19 Jul 2005 22:09
15/33
My whole freakin point about him being an idiot was that he add facts to my statement and claimed that they were my opinion and then said I was wrong in saying those things that he assumed i meant and passed it off as a mistake. Which is a good reason why i said he was an idiot ofcourse there are better words to describe what he doing but i thought idiot was good enough.
more comments below our sponsor's message
Rod Todd 20 Jul 2005 07:19
16/33
Pistol-Pat wrote:
My whole freakin point about him being an idiot was that he add facts to my statement and claimed that they were my opinion and then said I was wrong in saying those things that he assumed i meant and passed it off as a mistake. Which is a good reason why i said he was an idiot ofcourse there are better words to describe what he doing but i thought idiot was good enough.


The big problem with you calling anyone else an idiot is that you totally write like one with poorly constructed and convoluted sentences without any punctuation that make people think that maybe its you and not the other dude what is actually like the idiot and really as you just explained above you didn't really even mean idiot you meant another word instead but you're too f**king stupid to think of the other word so you used idiot even though you didn't really mean idiot you idiot.
config 20 Jul 2005 09:20
17/33
Okay then, sunshine, what exactly were you saying? In you own words?

See, your "Sony rips off the competition's strategy/products"* comment looks like a groundless generalisation to me. To other's too, it would seem. I simply tried to put some facts into the equation. I even posed them as questions, which you ignored and ranted about. Ah bless.

* that's my paraphrase, not Mr Pat's words - in case that's not clear to the reader. Got that? Okay. Cool.
config 20 Jul 2005 09:21
18/33
Breath, dude. Breath.

Edit: I did, of course, mean "Breathe, dude. Breathe"
kid_77 20 Jul 2005 09:31
19/33
config wrote:
Breath, dude. Breath.

*Offers RT a mint*

;)
config 20 Jul 2005 09:35
20/33
Fsck!

Breathe!!

Grrr.
DaPistolPat 20 Jul 2005 19:59
21/33
Rod Todd you have a picture of Keanu Reeves as your avatar, wow!(that is your heroes most used line through out his career) that is possibly the gayest avatar ever, you need to take that off there immediately.

IDIOT!!!!
DaPistolPat 20 Jul 2005 20:26
22/33
I wrote:
" ....Sony's which is copy as much of the competitions strategy and products as possible while still having people convinced that what they are doing is cool and original...."

To which i was talking about the PS1 which Sony stole the exact hardware design from Nintendo's disc drive add-on which they were working on. Then the eyetoy which copied Nintendo's Camera add-on which was never released because Sony released there unannounced eyetoy before Nintendo decided on a release date. Now we come the the PS3 which I wonder to myself what Sony would have shown if M$ wouldn't have shown their strategy before e3, which Sony's e3 all it was, was the 360 strategy with a bunch of added numbers. its like sony saw M$ next gen strategy and said holy crap and just threw out a bunch of crazy numbers to try and make people forget about what M$ is doing. So basically what i am saying is that M$ had real stuff to show at e3 and Sony had M$ strategy they showed the day before with a bunch of numbers and words and shiny cg films to catch peoples attention and hope nobody realizes how close their strategy actually is to M$, I expect to see a some what different strategy shown by Sony next e3.

I also wrote:
"....On the other hand you have Microsoft's strategy which is make their console such a good deal right now with all the coolest games that no one can pass it up, then when they get us buying their stuff they make it an even better deal to try and squash the competition completely in one single blow."

To which i meant exactly what i said, key word being strategy not actually what is fact, or some might call it what they plan on happening, but still not actually what is so.
fluffstardx 20 Jul 2005 23:23
23/33
So far all MS has done with the big showings like the MTV thing and E3 IMHO is f**k up. And I like MS. They have tried desperately to be "down wit da kidz" and instead made themselves look like that embarrassing uncle at the wedding disco. The machine looks nice, the spec is pretty good and the features impressive, but they need to get some bigass attention grabbing campaign going before they dance the birdy song and fly outta competition.

Sony's strategy seems to be to try forcefeed people statistics until they choke on them. Being $100-200 pricier than your established rival doesn't stop being a problem through figures, and they're struggling to prove themselves any other way. As for Bluetoothing and Blu Ray-ing the machine, whoop de f'ing doo, more expense. CELL seems like some weird megalomaniacal, Global War-playing machine that Sony hopes to enslave us by in Console Communism.

Nintendo's strategy, YET AGAIN, is to speak softly and carry a big IP. It hasn't worked in the last 2 generations, and it may cost them their business. They have a lot of neat ideas, but if they don't match the other consoles' games catalogues to at least 80% of the size they will die again. The Cube bogged itself down in a lack of games and being kiddy too early, and now it's hardly selling to anyone. Next round, they need to hit out across the age ranges straight away rather than pandering to children.

As for the rest of the thread... Config's a good guy, as is Rod most of the time. I have indeed never been to Japan; it's mainly a comment on using this method of gathering opinion. I had to study it in psychology, and the negative of using it is always the same: you never know if you asked the right people. And the only way to know, is to ask everyone. It's a lose-lose method. Unfortunately, the other thing I learned is there IS no good method, other than careful study. That kinda requires you to have the machines, and so...
config 21 Jul 2005 09:24
24/33
Pistol-Pat wrote:
I wrote:
" ....Sony's which is copy as much of the competitions strategy and products as possible while still having people convinced that what they are doing is cool and original...."

To which i was talking about the PS1 which Sony stole the exact hardware design from Nintendo's disc drive add-on which they were working on.

See, you are talking b******s.

You cannot seriously suggest that the PS1 is the "exact hardware" of the Super Disc development Sony was working on ... for the SNES!

1988 technology, released in 1994? Don't be such a t**t.

What Sony is guilty of is seeing an opportunity in the consumer video games market, having been stiffed by Nintendo on the Super Disc deal.

Then the eyetoy which copied Nintendo's Camera add-on which was never released because Sony released there unannounced eyetoy before Nintendo decided on a release date.


And you, of course, have evidence that the Nintendo camera was backed up by motion detection based games, and was in development prior to Eyetoy. If it was the same system, why did Nintendo bin the idea? After all, PC has an Eyetoy-a-like, and Xbox 360 is very likely to get one. Just cause the competition allegedly nicks your idea (which, if it were in development at Nintendo, would prolly be patented), you don't throw in the towel.

Now we come the the PS3 which I wonder to myself what Sony would have shown if M$ wouldn't have shown their strategy before e3, which Sony's e3 all it was, was the 360 strategy with a bunch of added numbers. its like sony saw M$ next gen strategy and said holy crap and just threw out a bunch of crazy numbers to try and make people forget about what M$ is doing. So basically what i am saying is that M$ had real stuff to show at e3 and Sony had M$ strategy they showed the day before with a bunch of numbers and words and shiny cg films to catch peoples attention and hope nobody realizes how close their strategy actually is to M$, I expect to see a some what different strategy shown by Sony next e3.


Erm, Sony has been joint developing Cell for years, and the PS3 is behind schedule. So what if Sony altered its spec? This happens all the time. Altering plans to ensure that you can compete is essential in any business. You think MS didn't spec Xbox to outperform PS2? I don't see you whining about that.

The fact is, in early 1995 Sony, at the UK developer lauch, announced a timeline for the Playstation consoles that planned for PS2 in 2000 and PS3 (with mind control!) in 2005.

So PS3 is running behind a bit, and the mind control stuff hasn't panned out. Still stuffs a pointy stick up the wazoo of your argument.

As for "shiny cg films", it's the nature of the business. Get over it. It happens. It's part of the PR bullshit. PS1's dinosaur, PS2's FF scene, Xbox's dancing girl w/ robot, Xbox360's car crash & art deco smoking woman. The "C" in the PS3's CG films was Cell. Whether they were all real-time is moot, but some certainly were (rubber ducks, Unreal, gas station).

I also wrote:
"....On the other hand you have Microsoft's strategy which is make their console such a good deal right now with all the coolest games that no one can pass it up, then when they get us buying their stuff they make it an even better deal to try and squash the competition completely in one single blow."

To which i meant exactly what i said, key word being strategy not actually what is fact, or some might call it what they plan on happening, but still not actually what is so.


I never contested your assertion on the use of the term strategy here. I contested that you were factually incorrect to say that "no one can pass it up". You got you knickers in such a twist, I can only guess you didn't read what a wrote.


fluffstardx 21 Jul 2005 15:02
25/33
config wrote:
...and PS3 (with mind control!) in 2005


Actually, you know, I'd forgotten they had patented the sort of neural interface made famous by the Matrix films...

BrainToy? Anyone? :D
Ditto 21 Jul 2005 17:36
26/33
fluffstardx wrote:
config wrote:
...and PS3 (with mind control!) in 2005


Actually, you know, I'd forgotten they had patented the sort of neural interface made famous by the Matrix films...

BrainToy? Anyone? :D


Personally, I wouldn't let either Sony or Microsoft read my mind.

Talk about the possibility of targeted advertising in-game.

(I'm back BTW ;) ).
DaPistolPat 21 Jul 2005 21:27
27/33
config wrote:
Pistol-Pat wrote:
I wrote:
" ....Sony's which is copy as much of the competitions strategy and products as possible while still having people convinced that what they are doing is cool and original...."

To which i was talking about the PS1 which Sony stole the exact hardware design from Nintendo's disc drive add-on which they were working on.

See, you are talking b******s.

You cannot seriously suggest that the PS1 is the "exact hardware" of the Super Disc development Sony was working on ... for the SNES!

1988 technology, released in 1994? Don't be such a t**t.

What Sony is guilty of is seeing an opportunity in the consumer video games market, having been stiffed by Nintendo on the Super Disc deal.


See the thing is that Nintendo happened to take Sony to trial over the exact thing i was talking about so don't act like you know what your talking about without actually researching it.

config wrote:
Pistol-Pat wrote:
Then the eyetoy which copied Nintendo's Camera add-on which was never released because Sony released there unannounced eyetoy before Nintendo decided on a release date.


And you, of course, have evidence that the Nintendo camera was backed up by motion detection based games, and was in development prior to Eyetoy. If it was the same system, why did Nintendo bin the idea? After all, PC has an Eyetoy-a-like, and Xbox 360 is very likely to get one. Just cause the competition allegedly nicks your idea (which, if it were in development at Nintendo, would prolly be patented), you don't throw in the towel.


Perhaps you don't realize that it takes quite a long time for patents to go through, i mean you could have issue one in 1998 and not got it officially patented in 2005. So that could mean if Nintendo issued one in 2002 they couldn't sue untill the patent went through. But i will say that i am not sure about the eyetoy it could be that Sony issued it first so Nintendo cancelled there device.

config wrote:
Pistol-Pat wrote:
Now we come the the PS3 which I wonder to myself what Sony would have shown if M$ wouldn't have shown their strategy before e3, which Sony's e3 all it was, was the 360 strategy with a bunch of added numbers. its like sony saw M$ next gen strategy and said holy crap and just threw out a bunch of crazy numbers to try and make people forget about what M$ is doing. So basically what i am saying is that M$ had real stuff to show at e3 and Sony had M$ strategy they showed the day before with a bunch of numbers and words and shiny cg films to catch peoples attention and hope nobody realizes how close their strategy actually is to M$, I expect to see a some what different strategy shown by Sony next e3.


Erm, Sony has been joint developing Cell for years, and the PS3 is behind schedule. So what if Sony altered its spec? This happens all the time. Altering plans to ensure that you can compete is essential in any business. You think MS didn't spec Xbox to outperform PS2? I don't see you whining about that.

The fact is, in early 1995 Sony, at the UK developer lauch, announced a timeline for the Playstation consoles that planned for PS2 in 2000 and PS3 (with mind control!) in 2005.

So PS3 is running behind a bit, and the mind control stuff hasn't panned out. Still stuffs a pointy stick up the wazoo of your argument.

As for "shiny cg films", it's the nature of the business. Get over it. It happens. It's part of the PR bullshit. PS1's dinosaur, PS2's FF scene, Xbox's dancing girl w/ robot, Xbox360's car crash & art deco smoking woman. The "C" in the PS3's CG films was Cell. Whether they were all real-time is moot, but some certainly were (rubber ducks, Unreal, gas station).


The above statement by config is his attempt at being a Sony PR guy and i do say it is pretty good. Now about the Xbox specs being modified, they were always better then the PS2 specs and what i was saying about the PS3 specs was that they are bull shyt and that Sony is going to tone them down by next E3. Kinda stuffs a pointy stick up the wazoo of your argument, man that sounds familliar.

config wrote:
Pistol-Pat wrote:
I also wrote:
"....On the other hand you have Microsoft's strategy which is make their console such a good deal right now with all the coolest games that no one can pass it up, then when they get us buying their stuff they make it an even better deal to try and squash the competition completely in one single blow."

To which i meant exactly what i said, key word being strategy not actually what is fact, or some might call it what they plan on happening, but still not actually what is so.


I never contested your assertion on the use of the term strategy here. I contested that you were factually incorrect to say that "no one can pass it up". You got you knickers in such a twist, I can only guess you didn't read what a wrote.


Factually incorrect, what the heck are talking about when i said "no one can pass it up" i was saying that it was part of their strategy to make it so no one can pass it up. I was not saying that nobody can pass it up. It seems that you got your knickers in such a twist, that really didn't think through what you were reading.

LUPOS 21 Jul 2005 23:07
28/33
being a liberal in america is a bad thing... its used like an insult... "stupid fancy pants liberals, they dont understand the common man"... and while i agree with alot of the things he says and thinks... michael mooe doesnt really do much to help our image... i know he means well and does alot fo good things... but i cant help but feel ashamed everytime hes on tv cause i know people dotn take his chubby stubble faced ass seriously... and to that end... you pat... are the michael moore of xbox lovers... i dont particualrly like sony (damn near hate, depending on the day)... i do love my xbox... and i have an undying love for both sega and nintendo... but i wish to crap i had a better contemporary representing my side of thigns when im not around... your the closest thing to a regular troll this boared has. all the idiot calling and unrequited and uncalled for wise assedness(cromulent?) is well... to be repetitive... uncalled for. take the time... use the ","once in a while. I get by on almost nothign but elipsees(sp?) "..." and that seems to keep my intent clear... dont get frustrated and freak out... take a few minutes, think out what your poinrs are, then list them... hell make it an outline if that helps... look at me ramblign like i do...

point = nobody here is attacking you, so you dotn need to be defense, forum = "forum for discussion"

the good folks at dictonary.com define it thusley:
Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.

earnest? yes. Mean spirited or angry? no.

even my summaries are long winded :D


ADAM: welcome back adam... i get on so rarely now i hadn't noticed you missing :(
______________
DaPistolPat 23 Jul 2005 09:18
29/33
That guy LUPOS he always has to come around and ruin my biatching escapades, man some times you gatta just let people have ya know hehehe.



btw I was right and always right ehhhh hehehe
fluffstardx 23 Jul 2005 11:07
30/33
"Welcome to level (buywindowslonghornproedition) 7!"
LUPOS 23 Jul 2005 12:49
31/33
Pistol-Pat wrote:
That guy LUPOS he always has to come around and ruin my biatching escapades, man some times you gatta just let people have ya know hehehe.


My greatest joy in life is being a kill joy.. perhaps it is my cold steely heart that causes this... or perhaps its all throw back from that time a priest molested me... either way it all goes back to god... the bastard!! sitting up "there" being all hollier than thou and sh1t!!... where am i?... who are you people... im scared...
______
Ditto 25 Jul 2005 11:26
32/33
LUPOS wrote:

My greatest joy in life is being a kill joy.. perhaps it is my cold steely heart that causes this... or perhaps its all throw back from that time a priest molested me... either way it all goes back to god... the bastard!! sitting up "there" being all hollier than thou and sh1t!!... where am i?... who are you people... im scared...
______


I think that your employer is the world's biggest killjoy.
Rod Todd 25 Jul 2005 13:34
33/33
Pistol-Pat wrote:
Rod Todd you have a picture of Keanu Reeves as your avatar


Really. I never noticed.

wow!(that is your heroes most used line through out his career)


I have never stated any admiration for Reeves, and have done nothing that could reasonably have lead you to infer that he is my "hero".

that is possibly the gayest avatar ever, you need to take that off there immediately.


I think this picture I have of you sucking cock is somewhat gayer.
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.