Xbox 360: Shipments to Top 3 Million?

Analysts triple MS official line.

Posted by Staff
According to investment analysts at Goldman Sachs, the Xbox 360 will hit store shelves in October or November. Well yes, you knew that, given it's information that has been in the public domain for months now.

What is more interesting are the expectations for shipping numbers offered by GS. According to the collective Internet readings they have clearly sifted through, a launch shipment figure of 3 million units is expected, somewhat more than the million initially mentioned by Microsoft at GDC in March.

A retail price of about $249 to $299. was also offered, with Goldman claiming that the Xbox console would cater to the ?lower-end? of the consumer segment - interesting news if true, though the report does seem to be more of a collection of old Internet news, base-level guesswork, and a keen adherence to the official Microsoft company line.

As the Forbes report on the issue notes, ?Goldman Sachs said it confirmed with Microsoft that the company is unlikely to discontinue production of the Xbox videogame console with the launch of Xbox 2. This is in contrast to the briefing given to retailers in recent weeks on the subject.

There is also the small point that Microsoft confirmed that it probably wouldn?t be doing something, with the only flat out denial of a complete end to Xbox production coming from the blog of Xbox Live director of programming Larry Hryb (which is not used as a below the line Microsoft marketing tool, honest) who said, ?There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the Internet today that say Xbox has been pulled from retailers. Furthermore, people are saying that we have 'reached our targets and want to get ready for the next console'. Let me be perfectly clear: We are not pulling the Xbox from stores.?

As with everything Xbox-related, only time will tell.

SPOnG feels creakily old when we cast our collective memories back to the days when the Xbox project would only ever be about games and not full content delivery. Honest?

Comments

CrmsnAngelus 13 Apr 2005 17:56
1/17
Man, I hope that this isn't totally true. I want my Xbox to be all tricked out and have a bunch of goodies, not be all "low-end" and really suck ass compared to the PS3. I want it to stand it's ground with hardware and software.....hears to hoping.....or is it hopping?
LUPOS 13 Apr 2005 18:37
2/17
CrmsnAngelus wrote:
Man, I hope that this isn't totally true. I want my Xbox to be all tricked out and have a bunch of goodies, not be all "low-end" and really suck ass compared to the PS3. I want it to stand it's ground with hardware and software.....hears to hoping.....or is it hopping?


its a little poorley phrased but i think that bit was in refference to the xbox1... like how the ps1 is still sold today mostly to younger children... so instead of gettign top tier games it will start to recieve the prerequisit barbie and Marykate&Ashley olsen fodder.
___________
more comments below our sponsor's message
Alan is my first name 13 Apr 2005 20:50
3/17
You know what's funny about the X-box 2 coming out so early? The remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day will once again be a AAA title being released at the very end of the system's lifespan.

Not that it matters, because it took Rare freaking years to simply pretty up a game with almost no changes and somehow (according to IGN) take the 1 player mode down from twenty (20) hours to seven (7). Something is seriously wrong with Rare.

And Microsoft sometimes.
LUPOS 13 Apr 2005 20:59
4/17
Alan is my first name wrote:
You know what's funny about the X-box 2 coming out so early? The remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day will once again be a AAA title being released at the very end of the system's lifespan.

Not that it matters, because it took Rare freaking years to simply pretty up a game with almost no changes and somehow (according to IGN) take the 1 player mode down from twenty (20) hours to seven (7). Something is seriously wrong with Rare.

And Microsoft sometimes.



i thik the reason fo rthe chnage it length is the removal of soem of the trivial collection puzzles and the trial and eror style of play that came from the sevear diffculty... like its quicker because now its not unnecesarily difficult cause they fixed the camera bit and removed soem of the mor epainfull sequences... i.e. leadign the eel thign through hoops... especially since the swiming controlls are so bad

but more than half the game tiem is still pretty drastic
________
Alan is my first name 13 Apr 2005 21:45
5/17
LUPOS wrote:
Alan is my first name wrote:
You know what's funny about the X-box 2 coming out so early? The remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day will once again be a AAA title being released at the very end of the system's lifespan.

Not that it matters, because it took Rare freaking years to simply pretty up a game with almost no changes and somehow (according to IGN) take the 1 player mode down from twenty (20) hours to seven (7). Something is seriously wrong with Rare.

And Microsoft sometimes.



i thik the reason fo rthe chnage it length is the removal of soem of the trivial collection puzzles and the trial and eror style of play that came from the sevear diffculty... like its quicker because now its not unnecesarily difficult cause they fixed the camera bit and removed soem of the mor epainfull sequences... i.e. leadign the eel thign through hoops... especially since the swiming controlls are so bad

but more than half the game tiem is still pretty drastic
________


If the cameras and missions were so badly made that a simple next-gen revamp of them would knock off 10-13 hours of gameplay, Conker's Bad Fur Day would have been so bad that nobody would even remember it.
kid_77 13 Apr 2005 22:14
6/17
Alan is my first name wrote:
If the cameras and missions were so badly made that a simple next-gen revamp of them would knock off 10-13 hours of gameplay, Conker's Bad Fur Day would have been so bad that nobody would even remember it.


I can't say CBFD is particularly high in my Pant-Wetting-Anticiption-List ?
Pilot13 13 Apr 2005 23:04
7/17
Well, I finished it on N64, and I don't remember it being that hard. Some of it was a bit tricky, especially the war sections fighting waves of teddys, but other than that, it wasnt that bad. Maybe they cut out all the beginning stuff and just went straight to the war bit as a tutorial for live. I swear if they've cut the singing poo boss I'll die.
Ditto 14 Apr 2005 08:01
8/17
Haven't played CBFD, but I'm not about to buy an Xbox to play it either :p.
king skins 14 Apr 2005 11:52
9/17
SPONG Article wrote:
What is more interesting are the expectations for shipping numbers offered by GS. According to the collective Internet readings they have clearly sifted through, a launch shipment figure of 3 million units is expected, somewhat more than the million initially mentioned by Microsoft at GDC in March.


Wasn't it 1million per territory?
1million to USA
1million to Europe
1million to Japan

equals

3million total shipment. That is if they release in Japan at the sametime... or are they doing that after Christmas?

:p
Joji 14 Apr 2005 18:36
10/17
Won't be buying until I see something I really want on the new box. I feel MS are rushing out to soon though. Sometimes that doesn't work as the Sega Dreamcast will testify.
LUPOS 14 Apr 2005 18:47
11/17
Joji wrote:
I feel MS are rushing out to soon though. Sometimes that doesn't work as the Sega Dreamcast will testify.


and some times it works too well... as is the case with the ps2... and to be realistic... sony and M$ are alot more similar than M$ and sega... most people can agree sega is wherr they are cause they couldn't match the advertising monster that is sony, M$ do not have that problem, has halo2 has so succesfully proven.
________________________
MichiyoYoshiku 17 Apr 2005 19:34
12/17
It's not true

XBOX Next AS IT WILL REALLY BE CALLED is Launching in March next year latest will be summer next year.

there's plenty of Proof floating around that it's not called XBOX360 and that it is not coming out at the end of the year.
kid_77 18 Apr 2005 08:18
13/17
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
there's plenty of Proof floating around that it's not called XBOX360 and that it is not coming out at the end of the year.

Care to share this proof?
MichiyoYoshiku 18 Apr 2005 12:20
14/17
Yeah Look at registered copyrights

XBOX360 isn't registrered to Microsoft.
Mendez 18 Apr 2005 12:47
15/17
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
Yeah Look at registered copyrights

XBOX360 isn't registrered to Microsoft.

Xbox360 is copyrighted? Wow. There was me thinking a brand such as this would have been trademarked. I'm shocked and amazed that someone other than Microsoft has a "copyright" on a name that contains the term "Xbox"

Where exactly did you find this "proof". You say there's plenty of evidence to prove this isn't the system's name, and you show up with this single shaky "fact".

Methinks you're a troll. Off you trot, Mr Troll.
MichiyoYoshiku 18 Apr 2005 13:18
16/17
READ OXM YOU IDIOT.

Me Thinks like the people on the g4 board YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS THAT BELIVE EVERYTHING THEY TELL YOU HERE.
LUPOS 18 Apr 2005 13:30
17/17
MichiyoYoshiku wrote:
READ OXM YOU IDIOT.


WOW!

i almost admire the blind faith required to trust OXM as a serious source of news... i have a subscirption, but thats caus ei want demos... not cause its good reading, and certainly not because they have all the latest info first... the only exclusive info they get is the well thought out infoe that M$'s marketting department tells them to print.

as for the 360, im not a big fan of it... but there have been several indicators... nto to mentiont he fact that its the only rummore dname that isnt painfully obvious... next box... oh please... and xenon was the code name... a cool word that starts with an X... 360 however... is not something i would have ever guessed... and there for seems mor elike leaked info than bltant conjecture (Sp?).

not to mention that the ourcolony image of a shot from the next Progect gotham is of a ferrari 360... quite a coincky dink if you ask me.

read OXM.... HA... and when im done with that i will seriosuly consider Barney the dinosaurs views on social interactions. he seems like an expert to me!
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.