Xbox iPod in the Works?

If this is true...

Posted by Staff
Xbox iPod in the Works?
According to a report hitting Engadget over the weekend, Microsoft's newly-crowned chief architect J Allard has drunkenly revealed the secret weapon that will elevate the next incarnation of the Xbox into a fully-fledged media centre.

The article states that Allard makes mention of a portable hard drive for the new console, designed to transfer media files to be playable on the go, in what has become the latest machine to be dubbed "iPod killer."

The piece reads, "Regarding the Xbox 2 hard drive, I was snowboarding in Whistler, B.C. from February 19 - 26, 2004. We were in a bar called the Amsterdam Cafe in the village one night and J. Allard, the head of Microsoft's Xbox division was in the bar with some friends. I recognized him from a recent Business 2.0 article and we started talking. He bought my friends and I a round of drinks he called Hey Zeuses - they were Red Bull and tequila and they were nasty."

So the scene is set. Now for the bombshell: "Anyway, we were talking about the Xbox 2 and he said their current plan was not to include a hard drive in the Xbox 2 itself, but to offer a portable hard drive as an accessory you could buy separately. Here's the kicker: He said what they were trying to do was to incorporate MP3 (and WMA, obviously) functionality into the portable hard drive and turn the thing into an iPod killer. Basically, the idea was to come up with an MP3 player that was as good or better than the iPod that would also serve as the hard drive for the Xbox 2. And he said they planned to sell them as a loss leader at $100 each."

Amazing lie or incredible Xbox future? You decide!
Companies:
People:

Comments

Deviluck 13 Apr 2004 11:42
1/11
God, they will do anything won't they. Microsoft should realise that everyone hates them. Argh i get fustrated.
Joji 13 Apr 2004 12:22
2/11
Indeed, Microsoft will go to the ends of the earth for our money. This mp3 player/hard drive idea for Xbox2 sounds good and makes a lot of sense, considering the amount of similar product out on the market. Congratulations Microsoft, as much as I detest your Mojo Jojo type plans for world domination, and other things you do, this is a good idea. However if some form of lock out appears on the mp3 player, restricting folk from doing certain things with their mp3s, it may have trouble selling. I've heard of such a piece of software about to be born at Microsoft, and I don't like.

One step forward, and maybe two steps back perhaps.
more comments below our sponsor's message
Brown Force 13 Apr 2004 13:22
3/11
Well I think this is an excellent idea. And if they do make it then I'll definatly buy it. If it can be used as a memory card and a MP3 player then it'll be worth it.

I don't hate microsoft ether, true I wasn't too fond of them before the Xbox, but I really think they've done an excellent job in the console market, great customer service, supplying fans with quality exclusive titles and an amazing online service. More than what can be said about Sony...who are also looking to monopolise the gaming market with their Playstation brand. Which will soon move to the handheld market. And yet people still love them, strange huh?

Wonder how long it will take before Ipod is compatible with PS3 in a similar way.
Rod Todd 13 Apr 2004 14:55
4/11
Microsoft in Copies Apple AGAIN shocker.

Let's face it, Microsoft have to be stoked that Apple are on form again, because now they have a fresh seem of new ideas to rip off.

Anyone notice how when Apple sucked (when Steve Jobs was ousted) Microsoft sucked too, and had to resort to ripping ideas from Netscape and Trumpet.

As long as Apple keep pioneering, Microsoft will keep profiteering.
Joji 13 Apr 2004 15:58
5/11
All the animosity for Microsoft comes from them screwing everyone over with Windows for so long, and not letting any competition compete fairly in the OS market. Hackers are always pointing out how many holes Windows has, because of their hate for Mr Gates and Windows. If there was good competition OS prices would drop, and consumers would be happy, that they can choose what they want for a fair price. Competition helps drive creativity and innovation for the greater good, and the games industry is a good example of this. A world with only one make of car or console would be quite boring too. Apart from Linux the competition situation with Windows, more or less stays the same as it was. It's also due to MS that Netscape Navigator more or less disappeared, through a shady buy out, so it's like if you can't beat them, just buy them. MS also bought Rare, and tried to buy Sega too. There is a funny and sinister pattern appearing here.

On the flipside of this Sony have been making good quality products for years. Walkmans, tvs etc are all good products. They have had decent competition for years. Sony may have messed up with their consoles here and there, but their other products outside of gaming speak for themselves. Sony respect their market rivals, and learn from them and vice versa. Sony learned from Nintendo and made the PSone, changing the nerdy face of gaming forever. Nintendo then learned from Sony (and their own mistakes) and made GC, the console N64 should have been. This sort of competitive learning happens in the PC 3d graphics card, and other component markets, but the PC OS market is almost non-existent. With MS now in the games industry, they too should learn and change their PC practices.

If MS encouraged competition in the OS market, and weren't so damn greedy, everyone would be a winner, and we'd have more choice. MS remind me of Mr.Creosoat from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Really greedy, fat, eating all the food til they burst. Xbox2 is now their second course. Take cover he's gonna blow, here comes the flying puke.
Stryfe01 13 Apr 2004 16:15
6/11
Nice long read, but the truth is MS is a corporation out to make money. Cut-throat or otherwise they achive their goal. You either go along with the Tsunami or get crused by it. Ms has done good for gaming. We need 3 parties to give us choice. So what if that is what they are planning. We the consumers ultinately decide if they are successful. Secondly no one is talking about the monopoly that Apple has over the Ipod and digital music arena. Crappy batteries. Way overpriced units. Ridiculous. yet again, it's their property and they have every right I believe to charge what they want. If people are dumb enough to keep forking over that amount...Why not keep selling at that price ?
Joji 13 Apr 2004 22:00
7/11
I know MS are in business to make money, but atleast give us a fair deal. Enough about them anyway.
As for the mp3 market, if I recall Apple actually got into the mp3 market very late. True, iPod does cost a fair wack in the wallet. iPod sold well because it was advertised and designed well, and came along shortly after the stylishly designed iMac. In short iPod is to the mp3 market, what PS was to the console market, it made mp3s cool and get noticed by the masses. Apple reap the benefits cause they done their homework. As for the battery problems, if it does mess up you can get hold of replacement. And if you don't want an iPod, there are plenty mp3 players available in lots of shapes and sizes, from various companies, from 40 quid up.
Andrew 14 Apr 2004 13:11
8/11
Joji - not 'everyone hates MS'. I don't. Sure, they're out to make money, but so are Sony, Apple and Ford. And General Motors and Warner. Does anyone (apart from dyed-in-the-wool MS haters) truly believe that if Apple were in the same position as MS they wouldn't milk it for all it was worth?
Having said all that, I think an 'optional' HD is a damned stupid move.
Rod Todd 14 Apr 2004 18:57
9/11
Stryfe01 wrote:

>along with the Tsunami or get crused by it. Ms
>has done good for gaming. We need 3 parties to
>give us choice.

We HAD three parties. Sega, Nintendo and Sony. Microsoft has never done anyone any good.
Rod Todd 14 Apr 2004 18:59
10/11
Andrew wrote:

>Does
>anyone (apart from dyed-in-the-wool MS haters)
>truly believe that if Apple were in the same
>position as MS they wouldn't milk it for all it
>was worth?

But Apple was in Microsoft's position. There was a time when they had 100% of the home computing market, and they didn't use that to crush innovation, and stamp out competing technologies. They even licenced the GUI to Microsoft.
Ben Furfie 19 Apr 2004 11:39
11/11
Joji wrote:

>All the animosity for Microsoft comes from them
>screwing everyone over with Windows for so long,
>and not letting any competition compete fairly in
>the OS market. Hackers are always pointing out
>how many holes Windows has, because of their hate
>for Mr Gates and Windows. If there was good
>competition OS prices would drop, and consumers
>would be happy, that they can choose what they
>want for a fair price. Competition helps drive
>creativity and innovation for the greater good,
>and the games industry is a good example of this.
>A world with only one make of car or console
>would be quite boring too. Apart from Linux the
>competition situation with Windows, more or less
>stays the same as it was. It's also due to MS
>that Netscape Navigator more or less disappeared,
>through a shady buy out, so it's like if you
>can't beat them, just buy them. MS also bought
>Rare, and tried to buy Sega too. There is a funny
>and sinister pattern appearing here.
>
>On the flipside of this Sony have been making
>good quality products for years. Walkmans, tvs
>etc are all good products. They have had decent
>competition for years. Sony may have messed up
>with their consoles here and there, but their
>other products outside of gaming speak for
>themselves. Sony respect their market rivals, and
>learn from them and vice versa. Sony learned from
>Nintendo and made the PSone, changing the nerdy
>face of gaming forever. Nintendo then learned
>from Sony (and their own mistakes) and made GC,
>the console N64 should have been. This sort of
>competitive learning happens in the PC 3d
>graphics card, and other component markets, but
>the PC OS market is almost non-existent. With MS
>now in the games industry, they too should learn
>and change their PC practices.
>
>If MS encouraged competition in the OS market,
>and weren't so damn greedy, everyone would be a
>winner, and we'd have more choice. MS remind me
>of Mr.Creosoat from Monty Python's The Meaning of
>Life. Really greedy, fat, eating all the food til
>they burst. Xbox2 is now their second course.
>Take cover he's gonna blow, here comes the flying
>puke.

You make a good point however, ask yourself this, the situation with PC hardware is bad enough, do you really think PC's, the internet and all things computerisation would have happened at anywhere near the speed if there has been 2 or more dominant OS? I very much doubt so, unfortunately Microsofts monoploy over the OS market is a necessary evil...
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.