PlayStation 3 'Phat' owners were in for a shock this morning, as a rogue PlayStation Network error nuked the ability to sign in, play games online or offline, and in some cases even corrupting purchases and other data files.
SPOnG spoke to a Sony representative this morning, who said the following, "We have found out that some users are experiencing a network connection failure when signing on to PlayStation Network. We are currently looking into the issue to identify the cause of this network connection failure and will update further information as necessary (on the Blog or official website). We appreciate for your understanding and continued support."
SPOnG was informed of the ongoing incident thanks to a tip from a reader (thanks headcasephil!). The error code, 8001050F, occurs when players try to load up a game on their console - after that they receive a message that says "Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will now quit." The system then reboots, only to happen again if another game is played.
Several hours ago, Sony USA responded via Twitter that, "We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all."
The network error only appears to occur with older PlayStation 3 units, as readers are confirming that PS3 'Slim' units - both 120GB and 250GB - are unaffected by the blackout.
Anyone having problems? Dare not turn on your PS3 just in case the network boogieman gets you too? Let us know in the forums - until then, enjoy this video that might cheer you up.
Just bought a PS3 and got a 'phat' one cos it was cheaper than a slim, on friday, already had 4 crashes and now this 8001050F error message, i think i'll stick with my 360 to be honest, you nearly won me over sony....... nearly.
connor 1 Mar 2010 10:41
hope this dosent take too long to fix
more comments below our sponsor's message
Tamikaze1 Mar 2010 11:09
I also hope this doesn't take long to fix, i want to play Heavy Rain tonight.
read about this last night as it broke, but didn't think, woke this morn to find my lad playing LBP on-line with no probs at all? all fine in the haritori house!
dave1 Mar 2010 12:15
its not just signing in i lost some trophies and some downloaded content the question is for me will i get that make i just f**king got the platnum for borderlands
Lee1 Mar 2010 13:28
If anybody is interested you can stil play ps1 and ps2 games on the 'phat' ps3
Lee1 Mar 2010 13:36
I just read a msg on a news site it says dont put your ps3 on at all as this seems to be a bug and seems to be affecting peoples trophies and save data. They advise keeping it switched off and checking sites like this one to let you when it is safe
Anne Yurism1 Mar 2010 13:59
cupcakes + videogaming + raging = dead
headcasephil1 Mar 2010 14:47
this is the best fu@k up ever it would not bother me much bar the fact that every other console/pc's are in boxes at the min as i am moving in the next coiple of weeks dose any one no trade in prices at game/gamestation on 60gb ps3 as i think might be a good time to get me a slim
Jon1 Mar 2010 15:33
This is taking the piss that the issue is now almost a full day ongoing. surely SONY employ techs who actually know what they're doing.
With the release of BFBC2 this week, this had better be resolved ASAP. Obviously the Trophy side of things is now shown to be a less than smart idea due to being unable to play single player mode as well. OWN GOAL!!!! Sony, now sort it out!!!!!
Daz1 Mar 2010 16:02
I'm playing FFX at the moment, hope they fix it in time for FFXIII or I'm gonna be a pissed of fat guy too, don't think I'll go as far as putting pants on though thats just going too far
shaggy notch 731 Mar 2010 16:39
turned on ps3 today and got the 8001050F error message. does anyone know how long its gonna take. just bought heavy rain and predator vs alien and cannot bleeding play them. Will have to take them over to my mates house as he has a slim ps3 and he says his is okay. he's loving the fact he going to get the chance to play ( and maybe complete MY NEW games ) before i get the chance to play them. mo fo.
headcasephil1 Mar 2010 22:43
10 Things to Do While Your PlayStation 3 Is Broken
Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/broken-ps3/#ixzz0gy4Lganq
Relax. Take a deep breath.
Your PlayStation 3 is broken thanks to a glitchy internal clock, and it?s not going to right itself for a while. What will you do to fill the hours and pretend that your game console still works? Game|Life writers John Mix Meyer, Chris Baker, Gus Mastrapa and I have some suggestions.
10. Pretend you?re in PlayStation Home: Invite a bunch of weird-looking dudes over to your house and do the Cabbage Patch in your living room.
9. Pull out your PlayStation 2. Reminisce about the good old days when game consoles were free-standing appliances that didn?t need to ping a central server before they allowed you to play.
8. Make a game out of your household chores: ?Hooray! I just unlocked the Elbow Grease Trophy in PixelJunk Fridge-Cleaner!?
7. Play real-life Gran Turismo: Take your used Toyota hatchback out on the freeway and rev it up to 55. Ah, this is the life. Who needs racing games? Hey, Click and Clack are on NPR.
6. Stand outside by your mailbox, waiting for friend requests.
5. Play the Xbox 360, which has an internal clock that does not have a horrible kill-switch built into it. AARGH.
4. Break out the Pledge and clean the dust off your Wii. Bonus: Clean off all your unused peripherals, too ? by the time you?re wiping the last of the grime off the Wii Wheel, the bug will be fixed.
3. Read our recaps of The Tester instead of watching the actual show. (Note: This tip still applies even after your PlayStation 3 starts working again.)
2. Make a list of 10 things to do while your PlayStation 3 is broken.
1. Get your old box of Little League baseball trophies out of the basement, and award them to yourself. Take them to bed with you, comforted in the knowledge that Sony cannot take these away from you (until at least the PlayStation 5).
Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/broken-ps3/#ixzz0gy3uDtXm
alan murphy2 Mar 2010 16:35
@connor_ tha video didnt cheer me up. it further increased my loathing of humanity
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.