Snuck into the most recent Major Nelson podcast came news that a rumoured Xbox 360 update containing loads of new features and updates (see bottom of this story) is in fact not going to happen.
Slipped into the podcast almost as a really off-the-cuff response to what could have turned into a PR nightmare was the following exchange between Major Nelson (Larry Hryb) and his wacky pal, 'e':
Major Nelson: "Sometime last week there was an amusing list that kind of made its rounds. Now, this list was a list that allegedly leaked from inside Microsoft and had a full - all sorts of features - for an upcoming update."
e: "And I think the official PR answer was "We've never seen this list before... "
Major Nelson: "We do not comment on rumours and speculation... "
e: "...but we've never seen the list."
Major Nelson: "And as 'e' and I can tell you, from people who work on the product team cos we don't work on the PR team - never seen that list before have we?"
e: "No, and I'm kind of scrolling through it from xbox360fanboy and I'm going 'What? No. This is not the list you'll be seeing this coming to a dashboard near you."
Major Nelson: "No, move along."
So, just what is going to be on the Spring update? We wait with breath all batey..
The Alleged List
* Option to delay sign-in to Xbox LIVE upon booting console (to allow user to set Online Status).
* Option to promote Child Account from Family Settings.
* Disallow Child Accounts (over 18) to override Family Settings by launching Privacy Settings through a title.
* Option in Family Settings for Child Accounts to enable child-oriented/non-mature advertisements.
* Introduce a group chat (4) for Private Chat and conferences through Video Chat.
* Support to indicate media being watched to gamercard status (video content from Marketplace only).
* Extend height for Bio field in Personal Profile, easier navigation through text.
* More fields present in Personal Profile - recent achievements, interests, games, movies, links, custom section.
* Compact Personal Profile for new fields (navigating to field will open it up).
* Mandatory option to delete duplicate titles from gamercard (excludes Games for Windows - LIVE). User disconnected from Xbox LIVE when booting any title until action complete.
* Option to remove payment information from gamertag.
* New payment methods for international users.
* Download History on Account Management better organized - games, genre, type, download date, miscellaneous.
* Long descriptions of items on Marketplace can be scrolled using right stick.
* Better organization of free content on Marketplace.
* Option to 'ping' when testing connection.
* Allow re-connection to Xbox LIVE if Ethernet cable is re-inserted whilst powered on.
* New strip colors available to developers, staff gamercards.
* New corner icon available to ambassadors.
* Re-introduce Messages button for Inside Xbox updates only.
* Option to store up to 10 messages permanently on server (excludes invites, status messages).
* Increase character limit for text messages between friends only.
* Option to disable invites from non-friends or all players.
* Option to disable invites from titles not on gamercard (excludes demos).
* Option to have smaller items moved up in Active Downloads.
* Automatically re-connect to Xbox LIVE if disconnected unexpectedly (set intervals).
* Option to download gamer picture (if available) from a gamercard being viewed.
* Display random tips to replace static text on Xbox LIVE and Games blades.
* New button on Marketplace for optional dashboard features - uses Storage Device memory.
* Option to donate Microsoft Points to anybody with a Windows Live ID.
* Option to purchase Membership for charities (includes benefits).
* Integrate file-sharing for selected titles on Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows - LIVE.
* Disable notifications to friends of user repeatedly signing into service (set period).
* Option to see 'snippet' of text message in notification.
* Windows Live Mail integration - includes support for Xbox LIVE Vision.
* Web feeds integration - text, images, audio. Includes support for specific item codes on Marketplace.
* Option to display gamer picture or standard picture as display picture in Windows Live Messenger.
* Support for headset, Xbox LIVE Vision in Windows Live Messenger.
* Support for limited 'winks' that display on dashboard interface. Option to disable 'winks' and 'nudges' added.
* Notifications separate from Windows Live Messenger to Xbox 360 notifications.
* Disable multiple languages from being used in any Xbox LIVE editable fields.
* Option to delete titles from gamercard with 0 gamerscore and 0 achievements (excludes some titles that will be re-added to launch another title).
* Organize My Games at the Games Library section better (includes disc-based titles) - sort by genre, platform (Games for Windows - LIVE), percentage completion.
* Support to display friends leaderboards for disc-based titles.
* Show dates of an achievement unlocked when comparing.
* Preload Games Library upon dashboard bootup for faster access.
* Game updates now shown as items in Memory, increased amount of updates on Storage Device.
* Option to delete game updates, removed 'cheat code' as no longer needed.
* Support for more titles to display banner when accessing guide in-game.
* Option to re-introduce awarded gamer pictures from titles that do not have their own re-introduce feature (requires saved game).
* Disable gamer pictures from being awarded from trials.
* Support for titles to store installation data on Storage Device for faster loading.
* Synchronization to achievements offline/online that were deleted and then re-added from developers.
* Option to hold LT and RT for rewinding/fast-forwarding video content.
* Option to delete individual music tracks from storage device.
* Option to rip music CD at different quality.
* Copy non-protected files (pictures, music, videos) from USB storage devices, CDs and computers to proprietary storage devices.
* Support for menu, top-menu features on video content downloaded from Marketplace.
* Section added for audio delivered through feeds (podcasts). Option to stream, download to Storage Device.
* Support added for video titles/description to gamercard status.
* Option to navigate quickly out of several menus back to respective blade home (applies to Games, Media, System).
* New blade trim styles added.
* Introduce expanded Inside Xbox as a portal to news, weather, entertainment, help and community features.
* New sounds for various functions (notifications, blades, navigation).
* Calibration options for display/sound.
* Calibration options for motion sensor devices.
* New effects for Xbox LIVE Vision and dashboard background.
* Disable changing of Theme when on Memory to prevent 'hanging'.
* Preload recent, limited items upon dashboard bootup on Memory.
* Faster loading of Themes section on guide.
* Option to see what items will not work offline due to DRM license changing from Memory.
* Option to automatically associate new DRM to items downloaded for free.
* Indicate 'charging' status on guide when Play & Charge kit is connected.
* Option to change text colors on guide to better contrast some backgrounds.
* Language improvements.
* Word censor updated for fields.
* Privacy Settings/Family Settings updated for new features.
* Voice, picture messages can be read at Xbox.com (Gold accounts).