Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - Confirmed!

> News Comments > SPOnG Comments Index

Topic started: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:42
Click here to view the news article this topic refers to.
Page:«12
deleted
Joined 4 Jul 2007
2320 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:42
Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Latern, Aquaman Robin/Hightwing, Hawkman, Catwoman & Swamp Thing must be in there, and maybe some villians with Joker and Lex Luther? seriously though who from the MK Universe can beat Superman?
Hark
Joined 11 Apr 2008
41 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:07
haritori wrote:
seriously though who from the MK Universe can beat Superman?


Maybe Scorpio can replace his kunai with kryptonite, teleport behind him, then shove it up his ass.....just a thought

Hark
SuperSaiyan4
Joined 15 Aug 2006
1274 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:26
*Puts hand over face in shame* Midway please just f**k off.
XBOX 360 Resident Evil Edition Elite, Sony HTSF1100 5.1 surround system, Samsung 40inch R74 720p HDTV + 60GB Playstation 3
deleted
Joined 4 Jul 2007
2320 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:09
SuperSaiyan4 wrote:
*Puts hand over face in shame* Midway please just f**k off.


This could actually give the MK series the life elixer it needs! Agree all MK games pretty much since MK 3 have been bad, but DC and MK could be very good.
SuperSaiyan4
Joined 15 Aug 2006
1274 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:43
I really can't see how this combination could work though, MK series has gone downhill and imo its going straight to the deepest part of hell with this.

Why not do MK vs Streetfighter? Or how about MK vs My Little Pony? Ok no my little pony lol.

In any case lets see what MK fans think or the gamers out there upon its release I guess the feedback and the sales will tell us whether its the right move or not but I won't be buying this game.
XBOX 360 Resident Evil Edition Elite, Sony HTSF1100 5.1 surround system, Samsung 40inch R74 720p HDTV + 60GB Playstation 3
deleted
Joined 4 Jul 2007
2320 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:46
SuperSaiyan4 wrote:
I really can't see how this combination could work though, MK series has gone downhill and imo its going straight to the deepest part of hell with this.

Why not do MK vs Streetfighter? Or how about MK vs My Little Pony? Ok no my little pony lol.

In any case lets see what MK fans think or the gamers out there upon its release I guess the feedback and the sales will tell us whether its the right move or not but I won't be buying this game.


Why not, Marvel Vs Capcom works!
Dio Brando
Anonymous
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:05
lol, what a pathetic crossover, logically it should have been mortal kombat vs KILLER INSTINCT as both the franchises shared things in common; blood, fatalities, cheap bosses etc...

gg midway, you've flopped again.
realvictory
Joined 9 Nov 2005
634 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:26
Don't buy it and don't pay it, then. There are so many things tha sound like they don't work - people slag them off - then some actually succeed.

Personally I'm not expecting it to be the most amazing thing ever, but who cares - it's something new to have a go at.

But if, every time a miscellaneous person who didn't have a clue what they were talking about said "I think that's going to be rubbish", the idea was thrown in the bin, innovation wouldn't exist (it barely does anyway), and life would be a dull chore.

Star Wars in Soul Calibur, for example - what a cack idea! But nobody cares that it doesn't make sense, because it's still more fun than it would otherwise have been.

In fact, I challenge people to not only pick on ideas that don't exist yet, or ideas that have already been proven to fail, but give some valid opinions about "successful" ideas that you don't like as well. How about the fact that whether something is popular or makes money isn't equivalent to what is a good idea, or what is fun?
Joji
Joined 12 Mar 2004
3960 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:10
Hari, there's a reason Marvel vs Capcom works so good, and that is simply because the characters are created and stylised in fantastic 2D/3D animation. That takes time and skill to do.

This kind of animation is the reason why the Mortal Kombat games have always been poor, because their very design (or lack there of) from digitised people crappy characters. This has always limited the series from day one. Had they been drawn with care and passion like SF2, MK would have been more of a success.

Fast forward to now, the MK models are in 3D and still not oozing character, story and class that Capcom creates from scratch and breathes life into all the time. I care about SF2 characters and world, but not about MKs.

Linking up with those characters from DC should be interesting, but I can't say I'm really excited about it. Right now the only game I want to see coming out from Midway, is Ready to Rumble 3 on Wii, because that's a good game that we deserve to see out (and imagine playing that online too).

To Midway, if you guys want MK to succeed, try designing some good stylised characters, that don't look so real, like the guy next door dressed up in zany cosplay (some convincing stages would be nice too, instead of bland empty other dimensional junk, hardly any on earth). In fact, Midway, you should get a japanese character designer to design the characters. Take a look at their great 2D beat em up designs over the years, and see why yours are poorly designed and awful.

MK is one of the best examples, of how too much realism, tied into design can kill a game, over time. Do you guys see how Bandai Namco do different designs on their characters with each Soul Calibur...while making them look appealing? MK needs that. Look how different Yoshimitsu looks in all four SC games. Now see how lame Sub Zero looks in the same light.

Another thing, drop the fatalities, they worked and were cool once, but are lame side shows now. Its a fighting game, concentrate on that.

I'll try to keep an open on this game, but after previous MK games, I don't have much hope.



"Plane!?....I Ain't Gettin On No Plane"
realvictory
Joined 9 Nov 2005
634 comments
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:56
Joji wrote:
To Midway, if you guys want MK to succeed, try designing some good stylised characters, that don't look so real, like the guy next door dressed up in zany cosplay (some convincing stages would be nice too, instead of bland empty other dimensional junk, hardly any on earth). In fact, Midway, you should get a japanese character designer to design the characters. Take a look at their great 2D beat em up designs over the years, and see why yours are poorly designed and awful.

MK is one of the best examples, of how too much realism, tied into design can kill a game, over time. Do you guys see how Bandai Namco do different designs on their characters with each Soul Calibur...while making them look appealing? MK needs that. Look how different Yoshimitsu looks in all four SC games. Now see how lame Sub Zero looks in the same light.

Another thing, drop the fatalities, they worked and were cool once, but are lame side shows now. Its a fighting game, concentrate on that.

I'll try to keep an open on this game, but after previous MK games, I don't have much hope.


I don't think MK really has ever been "realistic". Using photographs was realistic to an extent, but apart from that, everything else about it was pretty unrealistic. And I think, that made a good combination. It wasn't intended to be Street Fighter, although I do believe it had its own style, that wasn't quite realism.

The problem it had with moving to 3D, though, was the same problem that Street Fighter had - that it had a style that was designed for 2D. 3D Street Fighter has always, and probably will always be a bit rubbish, because people compare it directly to the 2D game. Probably the same with Mortal Kombat.

I won't object to a game with DC characters (new ideas are always welcome to me), however I think that it does need a "Street Fighter IV" conversion - and if we have the technology to make Street Fighter 3D while keeping the essence of the originals, then we have the technology to achieve the same with Mortal Kombat.

The strange thing (in fact, the key aspect, in my opinion) about Mortal Kombat, was that, whereas Street Fighter was entirely caricatures, being a cartoon, Mortal Kombat had real humans; it was the actual fighting style that was caricatured. A cartoon character shooting a fireball (e.g.) is slightly less exciting (being a drawing) than the concept of a "real person" shooting a fireball. However the 3D games have never been able to convey this effect, since the first thing they did was give up on "real people", follow the bandwagon, and try to cartoon-ise their characters. That was when, in my opinion, it became "just another fighting game".
Neighbour
Joined 13 May 2008
2 comments
Tue, 13 May 2008 16:10
Raiden for exampel is a god, maybe he is a match for superman
schnide
Joined 23 Apr 2004
575 comments
Tue, 13 May 2008 17:27
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's.. a really poor cash-in which makes DC look very silly against Marvel.
http://news.spong.com/game/11035135?cb=867
PreciousRoi
Joined 3 Apr 2005
1483 comments
Tue, 13 May 2008 19:10
DC always looks silly when compared to Marvel.

And no, I don't personally own any comic books, the last non-Free Comic Book Day comic book I owned was a Lobo #1 which I left at a friends house a long time ago circa 1991-2, shortly before I slept with his ex-wife and her sister (he introduced me, actually encouraged me to hang out with them, his fault) so that ended up being kinda awkward. I was gonna buy into Laurell K. Hamilton's Vampire Hunter series (big fan of the books), but he forgot to reserve me a first edition copy (I'm enough of a collector in general to insist upon that), and the market went ridiculous on it...I think he was offered $20 bucks at a con for his, I'm sure its calmed down by now, but I'm not much for teh comix, too much with the pitchers, not enough with the words. I'm still waiting for the novelization of the Watchmen...

But a friend of mine is an actual Comic Book Guy, complete with ginger ponytail...so I get to hear about all that crap.

DC is just goofy.
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
deleted
Joined 4 Jul 2007
2320 comments
Tue, 13 May 2008 20:12
PreciousRoi wrote:
shortly before I slept with his ex-wife and her sister


at the same time?
schnide
Joined 23 Apr 2004
575 comments
Tue, 13 May 2008 22:08
PreciousRoi wrote:
DC always looks silly when compared to Marvel.


Oh come on, there's a generalisation if ever I saw one. Dark Knight Returns? Although admittedly Batman is pretty much the only major DC character that has any edge.
http://news.spong.com/game/11035135?cb=867
<< Prev12

Log-in or register to permanently change your layout setting.