Owners of posh tellies will find a new reason to be collectively smug today, as Sony Computer entertainment confirms that it's looming PlayStation 3 console will support HGTV in the new gaming black that is 1080p.
In a survey issued to the PlayStation Underground community, SCE confirmed its plans: “The PlayStation®3 will include BluRay™, the high definition DVD technology, and support games in resolutions of up to 1080p, (the highest supported standard on the market.) Given that information, please choose the statement below that best describes you.”
Although high-end TV support for PlayStation 3 doesn't come as a surprise, the lack of confirmation has been a blight for fans, with Sony's reluctance to outline its intent seen as confirmation of a possible climb-down in the field. However, given Sony Consumer Electronics' invested interest in the market, nobody will really be surprised.
For reference, the full survey is reproduced below:
As High Definition TV begins to make its mark on the worlds of entertainment, we’re wondering where you stand: How do you think HDTV will affect you—and your gaming? Answer a few quick questions about the upcoming High Definition generation, and we’ll enter you in a very cool drawing—one PlayStation® Underground™ member (chosen at random from our pool of responses) will win a PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system.
To get started, just click here—but hurry; this survey must be completed and returned to us by 8:00 AM PST on 2/20/06 in order to qualify for the PSP System Giveaway.
So, tell us, do you see your future in high definition? Good luck!
The PlayStation Underground
HDTV Entertainment Survey
1. When you think about the next generation of gaming consoles, what are the things you are most looking forward to/interested in?
Content playback, storage.
BluRay DVD Capability
Interaction with Portable Devices
2. Which of the following statements best describes you?
I own an HD TV
I don’t own an HDTV but plan to get one within a year.
I have no current plant to get an HDTV.
3. The PlayStation®3 will include BluRay™, the high definition DVD technology, and support games in resolutions of up to 1080p, (the highest supported standard on the market.) Given that information, please choose the statement below that best describes you.
I will be more likely to purchase a PlayStation 3 because of the HD functionality
I will get more use out of my HDTV once I have a PlayStation 3
I’m not immediately interested in the HD features of the PlayStation 3
4. As an HDTV owner, what percentage of your TV viewing time is spent watching HD content?
Less than 25 percent
25 to 49 percent
50 to 74 perecnt
75 to 100 percent
5. Are you satisfied with the amount of HD Content currently available for your television?