Exclusive: Metroid Prime: Hunters ? Full Online Functionality Confirmed

First details, only here.

Posted by Staff
It has come to our attention that the DS will see a fully online first-person shooter in the shape of Metroid Prime: Hunters, the latest Samus-led update currently in the works at NST.

And far from paying lip service to online technology, Hunters will be a fully-optimised real-time FPS, the likes of which seemed beyond the wildest imaginings of Nintendo fans when the acclaimed GameCube updates launched.

One senior US retail source told SPOnG over the weekend, ?The game will be fully online and we were as surprised as anyone. Nintendo told us that we should 'think along the lines of Halo 2, deathmatches, online leagues and so on'. It is going to be shown running online at E3 and will hit [in the US] in mid-summer.?

So there you have it. Good news indeed. What?s more, the boredom factor of training in First Hunt now has an offsetting purpose. And don?t forget, there?s also a whole single-player Metroid game to be enjoyed too. Happy days!
Companies:
Games:

Comments

Showing the 20 most recent comments. Read all 37.
Philip Wesley 5 Apr 2005 12:41
18/37
While my opinion of Spong is that they are fairly iffy sods, not for journalism, but on a personal level. I would probably share some drinking time with them, but I wouldn't buy them a drink if you get what I mean. If it counts for anything, I trust them as much as I trust IGN, and considering I used to own stock in IGN... *sighs* From $5 a share to $20 to $3 in about a month. Good Lord, and people think Iraq is some sort of quagmire. They've never been to The Shire. :-P IGN was once a sponsor for a LIMP BIZKIT tour, enough has been said.

Anyhow..... I highly doubt they're are lying on this. It concurs with my sources as well. Unless something drastic goes wrong, we'll see online Metroid Prime Hunters. Somethings that Spong reports sound iffy, like the new GB version at E3 bit. That doesn't match the information I have, but.. I guess they heard it from someone else. Which would mean that Spong reports subjecture sometimes. Read: RUMORS. REAL journalism is about checking facts and EVERY SINGLE angle. Even rumors have some stance in real journalism. Some websites get more rumors than facts, but that's still good journalism as long as -when they aren't correct- they admit it. That's why press companies have the power of RETRACTIONS. But hey, if you dislike Spong, stop reading it. I don't particularly like this site, but I still read it because I find it to be a good source of entertainment for their takes on some news articles as well as the occassional scoop that they do work hard to get.
DoctorDee 5 Apr 2005 15:11
19/37
Philip Wesley wrote:
While my opinion of Spong is that they are fairly iffy sods, not for journalism, but on a personal level.


Whoa there! Iffy sods? We are gentlemen and scholars. A finer bunch of chaps you would be hard pressed to find. We do a lot of work for charidee (though protocol prevents me mentioning that here), we don't suck up to the games industry, even though we'd make more money if we did, and we're kind to kittens.

Iffy sods. Pah!

I would probably share some drinking time with them, but I wouldn't buy them a drink if you get what I mean.


Yes, you're a student, or a stingy f**k. Everyone drinking with SPOnG gets their round. That's the law!

If you were to spend drinking time with us, you would, I am sure, enjoy the varied and humourous covnersation, wise and sage observations and fabulous stories of derring-do.

If it counts for anything, I trust them as much as I trust IGN


That is the most damnation, by the feintest praise I have ever had the pleasure to be on the receiving end of. Thank you, sir.

They've never been to The Shire.


We live, and work in the t'Shire.

:-P IGN was once a sponsor for a LIMP BIZKIT tour, enough has been said.


Now, that's unequivocal. I could hardly come up with a more swingeing insult. And I practice hard.

I highly doubt they're are lying on this.


Get this straight. WE DO NOT LIE. Ever. We make the odd mistake, but we try and avoid that wherever possible. But lie. No. Nada. N.

Which would mean that Spong reports subjecture sometimes.


We do not report conjecture, which is a real word, so we sure as s**t don't report subjecture. Which isn't!

We report stuff we hear from people in the know, stuff that still under consideration. Sometimes, after we report it, the companies in question change their strategy, and what we said looks like bull to the uninitiated. But really, everyone who has ever changed their mind about something after telling someone else should be able to get the picture, if they think about it really hard.
more comments below our sponsor's message
neocarrillo 5 Apr 2005 15:29
20/37
SilverDogg wrote:
your so funny neo. i havent heard a single word about when gta is coming out for psp (hell, i havent even heard word on when the f**k the psp is coming out here in europe) but metroid is due for this year. and it doesnt matter if gta comes out before metroid, they are not the same genre anyway. (crappy gta3 vice city that doesnt have multiplayer ;( )


How am I funny? you live in euroupe so of course you wouldn't know about gta. Well it's coming to the usa in may and you guys should get it when sony decides to launch the psp.
Your the funny one saying gta is crappy, mean while it's on the uk top 20. This game came out last year and is still selling in euroupe and usa. Not even halo 2 is on the uk charts anymore, now thats telling you that your the minority that hates gta. You just mad cause ds's only good game of the year is metroid prime and psp will have gta, gt4 mobile, blood rayne, viewtiful joe, devil may cry and many more.
Joji 5 Apr 2005 15:58
21/37
This is getting really tired. If Zeo thinks Spong is that bad why not just don't bother coming here if all you are gonna do is slate folk. You have made you point but someone else said, we all knew DS was going online from Nintendo themselves, and if Nintendo are doing so it's only logical and good business sense that they would want to put online functions in their games for their hand held.

Sure, any fact or rumour has it's own weight of credibility which must be established. Also I feel Spong is not just another faceless games news site like many out there. The Spong community is I feel a good meeting of gaming fans and those unknowns who work in the industry. Everyone gets a say on news etc.

If you doubt something so much you'd be out there looking for the truth instead of moaning to us. And Spong do correct themselves if they are in error like any good informative site.

Give them a break.
Joji 5 Apr 2005 16:23
22/37
How am I funny? you live in euroupe so of course you wouldn't know about gta. Well it's coming to the usa in may and you guys should get it when sony decides to launch the psp.
Your the funny one saying gta is crappy, mean while it's on the uk top 20. This game came out last year and is still selling in euroupe and usa. Not even halo 2 is on the uk charts anymore, now thats telling you that your the minority that hates gta. You just mad cause ds's only good game of the year is metroid prime and psp will have gta, gt4 mobile, blood rayne, viewtiful joe, devil may cry and many more.


Mr Neo, I know about GTA for PSP but the point where I think you are in error is by assuming that the DS won't get good games just because the PSP is getting PS2 quality conversions titles on it. Speaking of which you have already made an error DS is also getting Viewtiful Joe not just PSP. History has proved that better graphics don't result in better games all the time. Because the DS might not have the graphical kick the PSP has, it then has to be more inventive in it's content and I feel this is where the DS will really put the cat amongst the Sony pigeons while attracting new customers to games as a whole.

Besides GTA isn't the best game in the world though it is good IMO. If you want a PS2 in your pocket then stick with PSP but give it a year before you make a any proper judgements on DS or PSP.

Multiplayer Metroid and Mario Kart soon...hopefully mulitplayer F- Zero and Waverace will follow in the future of DS. Bring em on Nintendo.
Ditto 5 Apr 2005 16:36
23/37
I'd say we have some pretty good DS games slated, just not out yet.

I can't wait to see Another.
Pilot13 5 Apr 2005 20:39
24/37
Besides GTA isn't the best game in the world though it is good IMO. If you want a PS2 in your pocket then stick with PSP but give it a year before you make a any proper judgements on DS or PSP.


Gta isn't a bad game, I played the very first one almost solidly for like three years. Well I was ten or something. The 3D ones are good, but the GTA on PSP is, as far as I know, a port of the original gta 3. I won't buy it again, it was hard to swallow to rebuy mario, but then it is one of the best platformers ever, and it kinda works better on touch screen. Some sections which were murder originally I did first time.
Philip Wesley 5 Apr 2005 23:42
25/37
Well, it twas early and I twas a bit harsh there. Sorry if I offended you. You are nice to kittens after all. Subjecture is not a word, it is more of a slang for conjecture. Since Spong reports a lot of stuff that sometimes falls through, it's truth that was submerged. Ya know?

The Shire I was refering to is what I refer to the IGN/Gamespy booth at E3. They go to the show and never leave it.. similar to how Hobbits rarely ever leave the Shire to look things over. Thus they just sit back and regurgitate press releases. Doing NOTHING. Actually, I kinda wish G4 did that. Remember when they were camped out in Kentia and no one cared about them?

Okay. If everyone's buying a round, it's fine with me. I'll pitch in. I mean, shoot.. I bought coffee with Daphne White... so it's not so horrible. As for the iffy sods comment. Hey, I'm an American. All of Europe is EVIL! *laughs* Just kidding. Although, if the IGN comments stings, sorry for that. Spong is in my bookmarks, but GameSpot and Eurogamer aren't. That should make you feel better. :-)
warbaby 6 Apr 2005 01:36
26/37
my god, that is the most intelligable thing i have ever heard, Joji. i wish i had your around when peeple start bashing my DS and start fingerin my PSP
Zeo [banned] 6 Apr 2005 02:38
27/37
Spong is full of crap. It's a fact.

You are the National Enquirer of gaming.
SilverDogg 6 Apr 2005 06:42
28/37
neo, if you would have read more carefully you would have seen that i really didnt diss the game, i said that it was crappy because it doesnt have multilpayer (which would have been rather sweet).

and i can see now that people says that gta for psp is gta3. JIPPIE! not only is it boring as hell (i dont like gta3, vice city is fine though), ALOT OF PPL ALREADY HAVE IT AND FINISHED IT!

you asked in another thread what convertions there will be for psp, well, there you have one.

how big support does the psp have from squenix? i know 1 game, while ds has about 10 games. squenix is a big company you know.
neocarrillo 6 Apr 2005 08:00
29/37
SilverDogg wrote:
neo, if you would have read more carefully you would have seen that i really didnt diss the game, i said that it was crappy because it doesnt have multilpayer (which would have been rather sweet).

and i can see now that people says that gta for psp is gta3. JIPPIE! not only is it boring as hell (i dont like gta3, vice city is fine though), ALOT OF PPL ALREADY HAVE IT AND FINISHED IT!

you asked in another thread what convertions there will be for psp, well, there you have one.

how big support does the psp have from squenix? i know 1 game, while ds has about 10 games. squenix is a big company you know.


Well gta for psp is not gta 3, it's gta in liberty city but since you have a weird sense of fun then about 100% of us that bought all the gta's, you wouldn't understand that.
As for the 10 games you say square enix is making for ds name them all for me. I know Psp is getting final fantasy 7 advent children, crisis core - final fantasy 7, eternal mana and dragon warrior (dragon quest in jap).
DoctorDee 6 Apr 2005 09:14
30/37
Philip Wesley wrote:
Well, it twas early and I twas a bit harsh there. Sorry if I offended you.


Not offended. It was fairly even-handed I though. And quite funny. Funny scores points!

Subjecture is not a word, it is more of a slang for conjecture. Since Spong reports a lot of stuff that sometimes falls through, it's truth that was submerged. Ya know?


Yeah, totally with you there.

The Shire I was refering to is what I refer to the IGN/Gamespy booth at E3. They go to the show and never leave it..


Aha, that's quite funny. While I had observed their behaviour, I didn't connect it to you hobbit like provinciality reference. The Shire I was referring to was Yorkshire, where SPOnG is part based.

But in fairness, why would IGN get if its fat ass to waddle over to someone elses booth when everyone in the industry flocks to their door, weeks before the show and prostrates themselves in supplication? I mean, pretty much everything that is going to be "shown" at the show has been revealed to IGN ahead of time in return for coverage and good review scores.

Okay. If everyone's buying a round, it's fine with me.


That's just the way it works. It does offer the potential for unscrupulous dogs to arrive early, be a part of a couple of rounds, then scuttle off home before it's their turn. They think this kind of behaviour goes unnoticed but it GOES ON THEIR PERMANENT KARMIC RECORD!

Spong is in my bookmarks, but GameSpot and Eurogamer aren't. That should make you feel better. :-)


That makes me feel GREAT! Feel free to hit me up for a beer at E3.
SilverDogg 6 Apr 2005 09:16
31/37
i didnt even understand what you were trying to say about gta, nevermind.

the games squenix is making for ds? yeah sure i can give you a list if i find it. and i didnt say 10 games i said about 10 games (i think. thats what i meant to say anyway).

found it now!

but it was a bit less than 10.
Dragon Quest Monsters series
Dragon Quest Slime Morimori 2
Egg Monster Heroes
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles series
Secret of Mana
DoctorDee 6 Apr 2005 09:17
32/37
Zeo wrote:
Spong is full of crap. It's a fact.


Oh, it's not FULL of crap. In fact, it's mainly just the bits that you posted.

You are the National Enquirer of gaming.


And yet here you are reading and posting. Bet you got a subscription to the Enquirer.
Zeo [banned] 6 Apr 2005 13:41
33/37
DoctorDee wrote:
Zeo wrote:
Spong is full of crap. It's a fact.


Oh, it's not FULL of crap. In fact, it's mainly just the bits that you posted.

You are the National Enquirer of gaming.


And yet here you are reading and posting. Bet you got a subscription to the Enquirer.


Yes, very nice logic. Except you know, for the whole you have to PAY for the Enquirer and signing up for a forum is free thing, you moron.

And yes, Spong is full of crap. Oh, but wait, GBA2 is going to be revealed soon!#~!#!@#
Joji 6 Apr 2005 16:33
34/37
Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss Zeo, you are turning into the type of yank w****r that we all love to hate. If scorn is all you have to poor over your posts before you serve them up on this Spong forum why bother at all?

Sure, we can happily agree to disagree on lots of things but you have yet to prove your claims about Spong and until you prove them to be the truth they remain as much speculation as the news about GBA2 which you claim are lies.

Perhaps you yanks are just so used to being lied to by the media etc that you can't tell truths from falsehoods anymore. Ofcourse in your world the big yank likes of CNN etc are worth believing more than games industry websites etc. Smaller fish never get true scoops do they? That is pure bs and you know it.

Any good member of any forum should be able to back up any claims made but you seem unable to do this which makes you look even more stupid.

Just act your age, not your shoe size. If you piss everyone off too much you might just find your posts being totally ignored by everyone else.

DealinDaDirt 6 Apr 2005 18:13
35/37
Zeo wrote:
Oh, but wait, GBA2 is going to be revealed soon!#~!#!@#


Yeah. You're right. It is. I have it from two sources, but my editor forbade any of us staff writers from writing a word about it. C**t.
yo 18 Apr 2007 17:59
36/37
yo game is cool
Svend Joscelyne 18 Apr 2007 22:22
37/37
yo wrote:
yo game is cool

We could have told you that, about two years ago.

Thanks, though. :)
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.