We're a nation of football fans, and this week's UK all-format software chart (courtesy GfK Chart-Track) aptly reflects this, as 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa defiantly sits unmoved at the #1 spot. This is despite a -42% sales drop and some fierce opposition from three new entries to the Top 10.
(1) - 1 - 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa - Electronic Arts - (3)
(NE) - 2 - Alan Wake - Microsoft - (1)
(NE) - 3 - Lost Planet 2 - Capcom - (1)
(2) - 4 - Just Dance - Ubisoft - (24)
(NE) - 5 - Skate 3 - Electronic Arts - (1)
(5) - 6 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Electronic Arts - (11)
(3) - 7 - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Activision Blizzard - (75)
(14) - 8 - Final Fantasy XIII - Square Enix Europe - (10)
(4) - 9 - Wii Fit Plus - Nintendo - (29)
(7) - 10 - Wii Sports Resort - Nintendo - (43)
(Note: Last week's position first, followed by this week's ranking, game name, publisher and number of weeks in the chart)
Xbox 360 exclusive Alan Wake comes the closest at #2, with only 1,000 sales behind FIFA. Capcom's Lost Planet 2 benefits from being released on a Tuesday rather than a Friday by debuting at #3. The third new entry to the chart is EA's Skate 3, which ollies into #5 with relative ease.
Ubisoft's Just Dance (-19%) best represents the Wii this week at #4 - it's lowest position for seven weeks. Nintendo's own Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort haven't left the Top 10 since release, and this week settle at #9 and #10 respectively.
Price promotions help fuel some re-entries too, with Final Fantasy XIII jumping from #14 to #8 following a +90% sales increase. The effect on retail promotions for Modern Warfare 2 (-14%) starts to wane as the shooter slips to #7. Its rival Battlefield: Bad Company 2 sees a rise of +5% at #6.
Will FIFA's staying power continue throughout the week? Only time will tell! In the meantime, predictions in the forum please.