The power of the fal'Cie is too great for the common RPG fan to ignore, as Final Fantasy XIII smashes its way into the #1 spot in the UK GfK Chart-Track software Top 10 this week. Not only that, but it's also set the record - once again - as the best-selling game of the year so far, a mere week after Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
Week 10 2010 - UK Game Charts
Previous week in (). Week on charts at the end.
(NA) - 01 - Final Fantasy XIII - Square Enix - (1)
(01) - 02 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - EA Games - (2)
(02) - 03 - Just Dance - Ubisoft - (15)
(04) - 04 - Heavy Rain - Sony - (3)
(06) - 05 - Wii Fit Plus - Nintendo - (20)
(07) - 06 - Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Activision Blizzard - (18)
(05) - 07 - Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - SEGA - (3)
(03) - 08 - Aliens Vs Predator - SEGA - (4)
(08) - 09 - Wii Sports Resort - Nintendo - (34)
(10) - 10 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Nintendo - (100)
Bet you're curious as to which platform enjoyed the most Final Fantasy XIII sales, aren't you? Well, we can tell you that the PlayStation 3 version outsold the Xbox 360 version by a fair percentage. The PS3 version had 54% of the game's sales, while the 360 version accounted for 46%.
It's been three years since a Final Fantasy title has claimed the top spot in the software charts - the last one being Final Fantasy XII back in 2007. The record-smashing forces DICE's war game down to #2 with a sales drop of 38% over last week. Just Dance slides to third and Heavy Rain sticks to fourth.
A shuffle here and there for the bottom half of the chart, and it's clear that FFXIII is the only new entry in the Top 10 this week. The new Ben 10 game hits #13, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising debuts at #14 and Yakuza 3 enters the chart at #24. Alice in Wonderland drops in at #34 and Sonic Classic Collection spins to #35.