Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - Confirmed!

Plus: see Batman punch Sub-Zero in the face!

Posted by Staff
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - Confirmed!
Midway has confirmed that the rumoured Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe is, indeed, in production. The game is slated for release this Autumn for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

So, what brings these two pantheons of characters together? Well, Midway tells us that a "cataclysmic force" has gone and merged "conquerors from two universes".

You know what happens when two groups of characters from seperate fictional universes meet, right? Well, if you didn't, the fact that this is a Mortal Kombat game is a bit of a give away. If you need it in black and white - "In order to save all they know, the heroes and villains of Mortal Kombat must wage war against the combined might of the DC Universe (DCU). How can either side prevail when rage blinds them to the dark threat poised to destroy them all?"

The story has been written as a collaboration between the team at Midway and comics scribes Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, who have dipped their hands deep into the DCU before, writing the likes of Batman and the Justice League of America.

Of the game, Midway promises "a new fighting system including Freefall Kombat and Klose Kombat along with dynamic multi-tiered environments. Plus, pick your favorite character from MK or DCU and pursue a fighting adventure in the new single player mode with an intertwined storyline and two unique perspectives."

While only Superman, Batman, Scorpion and Sub-Zero have been confirmed thus far, Boon promised that more details are on the way - expect an announcement at E3?.

"For the first time, players will be able to go toe to toe with DC and MK characters in both arena and story mode", uttered John Nee, senior VP of Business Development for DC Comics. "We've worked very closely with Midway to bring an authentic DCU flavor to their Kombat and the result features our characters like they've never been seen before."

Rumours about the game have been circulating for a while now, but this is the first time Midway or DC has offered us anything official on the subject.

You can get a taste of what we're in for in the announcement trailer below, showing Batman squaring off against Sub-Zero.



?Source: MCV

Comments

Showing the 20 most recent comments. Read all 21.
Hark 21 Apr 2008 10:07
2/21
haritori wrote:
seriously though who from the MK Universe can beat Superman?


Maybe Scorpio can replace his kunai with kryptonite, teleport behind him, then shove it up his ass.....just a thought

Hark
SuperSaiyan4 21 Apr 2008 10:26
3/21
*Puts hand over face in shame* Midway please just f**k off.
more comments below our sponsor's message
deleted 21 Apr 2008 11:09
4/21
SuperSaiyan4 wrote:
*Puts hand over face in shame* Midway please just f**k off.


This could actually give the MK series the life elixer it needs! Agree all MK games pretty much since MK 3 have been bad, but DC and MK could be very good.
SuperSaiyan4 21 Apr 2008 11:43
5/21
I really can't see how this combination could work though, MK series has gone downhill and imo its going straight to the deepest part of hell with this.

Why not do MK vs Streetfighter? Or how about MK vs My Little Pony? Ok no my little pony lol.

In any case lets see what MK fans think or the gamers out there upon its release I guess the feedback and the sales will tell us whether its the right move or not but I won't be buying this game.
deleted 21 Apr 2008 11:46
6/21
SuperSaiyan4 wrote:
I really can't see how this combination could work though, MK series has gone downhill and imo its going straight to the deepest part of hell with this.

Why not do MK vs Streetfighter? Or how about MK vs My Little Pony? Ok no my little pony lol.

In any case lets see what MK fans think or the gamers out there upon its release I guess the feedback and the sales will tell us whether its the right move or not but I won't be buying this game.


Why not, Marvel Vs Capcom works!
Dio Brando 21 Apr 2008 12:05
7/21
lol, what a pathetic crossover, logically it should have been mortal kombat vs KILLER INSTINCT as both the franchises shared things in common; blood, fatalities, cheap bosses etc...

gg midway, you've flopped again.
realvictory 21 Apr 2008 12:26
8/21
Don't buy it and don't pay it, then. There are so many things tha sound like they don't work - people slag them off - then some actually succeed.

Personally I'm not expecting it to be the most amazing thing ever, but who cares - it's something new to have a go at.

But if, every time a miscellaneous person who didn't have a clue what they were talking about said "I think that's going to be rubbish", the idea was thrown in the bin, innovation wouldn't exist (it barely does anyway), and life would be a dull chore.

Star Wars in Soul Calibur, for example - what a cack idea! But nobody cares that it doesn't make sense, because it's still more fun than it would otherwise have been.

In fact, I challenge people to not only pick on ideas that don't exist yet, or ideas that have already been proven to fail, but give some valid opinions about "successful" ideas that you don't like as well. How about the fact that whether something is popular or makes money isn't equivalent to what is a good idea, or what is fun?
Joji 21 Apr 2008 16:10
9/21
Hari, there's a reason Marvel vs Capcom works so good, and that is simply because the characters are created and stylised in fantastic 2D/3D animation. That takes time and skill to do.

This kind of animation is the reason why the Mortal Kombat games have always been poor, because their very design (or lack there of) from digitised people crappy characters. This has always limited the series from day one. Had they been drawn with care and passion like SF2, MK would have been more of a success.

Fast forward to now, the MK models are in 3D and still not oozing character, story and class that Capcom creates from scratch and breathes life into all the time. I care about SF2 characters and world, but not about MKs.

Linking up with those characters from DC should be interesting, but I can't say I'm really excited about it. Right now the only game I want to see coming out from Midway, is Ready to Rumble 3 on Wii, because that's a good game that we deserve to see out (and imagine playing that online too).

To Midway, if you guys want MK to succeed, try designing some good stylised characters, that don't look so real, like the guy next door dressed up in zany cosplay (some convincing stages would be nice too, instead of bland empty other dimensional junk, hardly any on earth). In fact, Midway, you should get a japanese character designer to design the characters. Take a look at their great 2D beat em up designs over the years, and see why yours are poorly designed and awful.

MK is one of the best examples, of how too much realism, tied into design can kill a game, over time. Do you guys see how Bandai Namco do different designs on their characters with each Soul Calibur...while making them look appealing? MK needs that. Look how different Yoshimitsu looks in all four SC games. Now see how lame Sub Zero looks in the same light.

Another thing, drop the fatalities, they worked and were cool once, but are lame side shows now. Its a fighting game, concentrate on that.

I'll try to keep an open on this game, but after previous MK games, I don't have much hope.



realvictory 21 Apr 2008 17:56
10/21
Joji wrote:
To Midway, if you guys want MK to succeed, try designing some good stylised characters, that don't look so real, like the guy next door dressed up in zany cosplay (some convincing stages would be nice too, instead of bland empty other dimensional junk, hardly any on earth). In fact, Midway, you should get a japanese character designer to design the characters. Take a look at their great 2D beat em up designs over the years, and see why yours are poorly designed and awful.

MK is one of the best examples, of how too much realism, tied into design can kill a game, over time. Do you guys see how Bandai Namco do different designs on their characters with each Soul Calibur...while making them look appealing? MK needs that. Look how different Yoshimitsu looks in all four SC games. Now see how lame Sub Zero looks in the same light.

Another thing, drop the fatalities, they worked and were cool once, but are lame side shows now. Its a fighting game, concentrate on that.

I'll try to keep an open on this game, but after previous MK games, I don't have much hope.


I don't think MK really has ever been "realistic". Using photographs was realistic to an extent, but apart from that, everything else about it was pretty unrealistic. And I think, that made a good combination. It wasn't intended to be Street Fighter, although I do believe it had its own style, that wasn't quite realism.

The problem it had with moving to 3D, though, was the same problem that Street Fighter had - that it had a style that was designed for 2D. 3D Street Fighter has always, and probably will always be a bit rubbish, because people compare it directly to the 2D game. Probably the same with Mortal Kombat.

I won't object to a game with DC characters (new ideas are always welcome to me), however I think that it does need a "Street Fighter IV" conversion - and if we have the technology to make Street Fighter 3D while keeping the essence of the originals, then we have the technology to achieve the same with Mortal Kombat.

The strange thing (in fact, the key aspect, in my opinion) about Mortal Kombat, was that, whereas Street Fighter was entirely caricatures, being a cartoon, Mortal Kombat had real humans; it was the actual fighting style that was caricatured. A cartoon character shooting a fireball (e.g.) is slightly less exciting (being a drawing) than the concept of a "real person" shooting a fireball. However the 3D games have never been able to convey this effect, since the first thing they did was give up on "real people", follow the bandwagon, and try to cartoon-ise their characters. That was when, in my opinion, it became "just another fighting game".
Neighbour 13 May 2008 16:10
11/21
Raiden for exampel is a god, maybe he is a match for superman
schnide 13 May 2008 17:27
12/21
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's.. a really poor cash-in which makes DC look very silly against Marvel.
PreciousRoi 13 May 2008 19:10
13/21
DC always looks silly when compared to Marvel.

And no, I don't personally own any comic books, the last non-Free Comic Book Day comic book I owned was a Lobo #1 which I left at a friends house a long time ago circa 1991-2, shortly before I slept with his ex-wife and her sister (he introduced me, actually encouraged me to hang out with them, his fault) so that ended up being kinda awkward. I was gonna buy into Laurell K. Hamilton's Vampire Hunter series (big fan of the books), but he forgot to reserve me a first edition copy (I'm enough of a collector in general to insist upon that), and the market went ridiculous on it...I think he was offered $20 bucks at a con for his, I'm sure its calmed down by now, but I'm not much for teh comix, too much with the pitchers, not enough with the words. I'm still waiting for the novelization of the Watchmen...

But a friend of mine is an actual Comic Book Guy, complete with ginger ponytail...so I get to hear about all that crap.

DC is just goofy.
deleted 13 May 2008 20:12
14/21
PreciousRoi wrote:
shortly before I slept with his ex-wife and her sister


at the same time?
schnide 13 May 2008 22:08
15/21
PreciousRoi wrote:
DC always looks silly when compared to Marvel.


Oh come on, there's a generalisation if ever I saw one. Dark Knight Returns? Although admittedly Batman is pretty much the only major DC character that has any edge.
deleted 13 May 2008 22:14
16/21
schnide wrote:
PreciousRoi wrote:
DC always looks silly when compared to Marvel.


Oh come on, there's a generalisation if ever I saw one. Dark Knight Returns? Although admittedly Batman is pretty much the only major DC character that has any edge.


Agreed Batman is edgy but is also Batman doesnt have any Superpowers as so makes it more beliveable and therefpore more people can relate with him, a scared past, seeking revenge and his wealth and power can get him anything he desires, although he cant fly or shoot lasers from his eyes he still can put his own up, and still fights for good. But Im more of a fan of Justice League a little bit of everythign works quite well, which is why i have some high hopes for this version of MK.
PreciousRoi 14 May 2008 05:44
17/21
Same night...the sister (17) found me on the couch after...and I still had 2 condoms left in the pack I had rushed out earlier to buy when her elder sibling (24 w/ 2 kids) seducified me. I think I was 19...I'll check when Lobo #1 was issued...

:)

Achievement Unlocked - 2 for 150 pts. - Sister Act and Virgin Territory Despoiled
tyrion 14 May 2008 15:28
18/21
PreciousRoi wrote:
I was gonna buy into Laurell K. Hamilton's Vampire Hunter series (big fan of the books)

Freaky, first Satch, now LKH! Although I thought the series went downhill into soap opera after Edward got hitched. You may enjoy Kelly Armstrong if you haven't already tried her books.
PreciousRoi 14 May 2008 18:16
19/21
Oh its a Saint Louis thing, ya know...I'm only 20 min south of the fleshpots of the East Siyeed...and Monk's Mound, which I've mentioned before is the Unseelie Court's HQ in the Merry Gentry series.

I'll deffo check Armstrong out though.

And yeah...I don't remember which but one of the more recent books was a bit too over the top with the sechs, felt kinda like fanservice taken too far. Now you've got me thinking about Edward...and the 'kid'...
tyrion 15 May 2008 07:33
20/21
PreciousRoi wrote:
Monk's Mound, which I've mentioned before is the Unseelie Court's HQ in the Merry Gentry series.

Not read any of the Merry ones, how do they stack up?

PreciousRoi wrote:
I'll deffo check Armstrong out though.

Other authors I got into through the LKH vector are Tanya Huff ("Blood" series) and Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) but you'll probably be aware of them via the TV shows based on their books.

PreciousRoi wrote:
And yeah...I don't remember which but one of the more recent books was a bit too over the top with the sechs, felt kinda like fanservice taken too far. Now you've got me thinking about Edward...and the 'kid'...

I stopped reading after Cerulean Sins, like you say it just got too indulgent and lost the plot as far as I'm concerned. Even Richelle Mead has fewer "sechs" scenes and she writes about a succubus!

Anyway, we're here to talk about comics, so ... Jean Claude could have Blade any day! :-)
PreciousRoi 15 May 2008 07:52
21/21
I like them...no ardeur to feed so less with the sechs...not that there isn't any, and but it doesn't take center stage so much...I reccomend them unresevedly.

Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.