No Sony PlayStation 2 NiGHTS Outside Japan

We don't want it enough

Posted by Staff
No Sony PlayStation 2 NiGHTS Outside Japan
News of the original NiGHTS game heading to the PlayStation 2 got many a SEGA fanboy's heart a-flutter. It now looks like those hearts will have to calm down a bit if they're not located in a Japanese torso. The conversion of the Saturn classic to the PS2 is for Japan only, according to NiGHTS's producer Takashi Iizuka.

The reason? We didn't want it enough, apparently. Speaking about NiGHTS Into Dreams... in an interview, Iizuka said:

"There are currently no plans for the PS2 version to be released outside of Japan, and no plans for a Wii version either.

"It is being released in Japan, due to the high demand for the game. So there are no plans for a worldwide release? so far."


"So far"... There's a glimmer of hope there. For the time being, however, it looks like NiGHTS fans outside Japan are going to have to make do with NiGHTS Journey of Dreams on the Wii. So, SEGA fans best go get a Wii if you don't already have one... oh, sorry, no chance. Unless maybe you fancy one if these over-priced Wii bundles...

Source: Sega Nerds

Comments

schnide 3 Dec 2007 14:36
1/5
Dear Sega

If you don't release it outside of Japan, there may be some individual gamers in morally gray areas who will download the Japanese version from a torrent site and play it on their modified PAL PS2's.

I wouldn't be one of those, despite being a big fan of NiGHTS who used to have both a PAL version of the Saturn and the game and misses them both, who now has access to a modified PS2 and a fast broadband connection, but I'm just saying that, you know.. others might do it.

Scumbags that they are, of course.
ajmetz 3 Dec 2007 21:51
2/5
I'm so untechie, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. =P
But I love NiGHTS, I have a PS2, and I don't have a Wii.
This *has* to be released. The only reason why there isn't the demand for it in the west, is because not enough westerners bought a Saturn, so don't know what they missed!

I really hope NiGHTS on Wii puts in a great performance over here, and paves the way for NiGHTS on PS2. But the risk is...the new NiGHTS might be crap....but we all know the original NiGHTS was amazing. =P So release the amazing game on the world's most popular games console...please? But the PS2 version *must* include Christmas NiGHTS. NiGHTS on its own isn't enough.=P Christmas NiGHTS is where the magic was at! ^_^
more comments below our sponsor's message
deleted 3 Dec 2007 23:42
3/5
schnide wrote:
Dear Sega

If you don't release it outside of Japan, there may be some individual gamers in morally gray areas who will download the Japanese version from a torrent site and play it on their modified PAL PS2's


its quite possible that exactly the same amount of people would of downloaded this anyhoo, and i believe that a US/PAL version would be massively more pirated than a Jap version, your point is invalid to that fact,

schnide wrote:
I wouldn't be one of those, despite being a big fan of NiGHTS who used to have both a PAL version of the Saturn and the game and misses them both, who now has access to a modified PS2 and a fast broadband connection, but I'm just saying that, you know.. others might do it.


so you have the access and you have the illegally modded console to boot, but you wont do it hmmm?


schnide wrote:
Scumbags that they are, of course.


takes one to know one?
SuperSaiyan4 4 Dec 2007 10:13
4/5
Whats stupid is that USA is much bigger than Japan, Europe overall is a bigger gaming market than Japan then you got every other country in the world.

Why the F**K does Japan always make things sound like the rest of the worlds population is smaller to enjoy what they make? Pisses me off!

The only demand I see in Japan is Nintendo and Sony electronics and gaming.
schnide 4 Dec 2007 12:27
5/5
Awww Dad, I hate it when you hang around here and embarrass me in front of the other kids!

haritori wrote:
its quite possible that exactly the same amount of people would [illegally download] this anyhoo, and i believe that a US/PAL version would be massively more pirated than a Jap version, your point is invalid to that fact,


Aside from your convoluted grammar, your argument is short-sighted. A US/PAL version would get more pirated but that release would also allow for sales that otherwise can't take place. The mass market aren't going to ever know about this game unless it gets that Western version. So you can either have lots of people download the torrent when it's out, and along with that exposure, have some people buy it - or you only release it in Japan and have all those Western hardcore gamers who would buy it, just download it instead.

And in addition to that, I sincerely hope there are others like me out there who download a number of things and if that item isn't ridiculously priced, buy it in real life (ReALliFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111) if I like it.

The economics might not be sound if they really don't think they'd make enough money from it, but what I'm saying is that if they don't believe in the product enough to push it over here, especially when they're releasing NiGHTS for the Wii anyway, it will still reach my PS2 in one form or another when I'd happily have paid for it.

Do you think all the torrents of Need For Speed are going to stop it reaching numbers 1 through 10 this Christmas?

haritori wrote:

so you have the access and you have the illegally modded console to boot, but you wont do it hmmm?

schnide wrote:
Scumbags that they are, of course.


takes one to know one?


Letter from Haritori: "Dear Santa, for Christmas I would like: to understand sarcasm."

.
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.