Ubi Soft Entertainment, one of the world's largest video game publishers, today announced that it is developing a version of Chessmaster for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system. Chessmaster for PlayStation 2 offers novices and experts alike full tutorials to elevate their game, while introducing them to the fun and strategy of the game of chess. The title is expected to be released in European retail stores from March 2003 and will offer support for Sony Online, once it is available.
"Chessmaster for the PlayStation 2 is an invitation for console gamers to experience the thrill of chess as they build their skills and unleash the Chessmaster within," said Tony Kee, vice president of marketing for Ubi Soft Entertainment. "With Chessmaster, you can play by yourself against personalities of all strengths, from beginners to grandmasters, or you can connect via Sony Online to find a willing and worthy human opponent anytime."
About Chessmaster for the PlayStation 2:
Chessmaster for the PlayStation 2 brings a grandmaster-strength engine, the strongest ever in a console product, to the PlayStation 2 platform. With opponents of every skill level from beginner to grandmaster, anyone can find a challenge that matches their abilities, or inspiration to become a master. Chessmaster for PlayStation 2 also has a library of tools to elevate your game, including the complete tutorial content from Josh Waitzkin and renowned chess coach Bruce Pandolfini as found in the Chessmaster 9000 PC product. With an entirely new interface specifically designed to take advantage of the PS2, the new controls make Chessmaster easy to play and fun to learn the secrets of chess.Chessmaster for PlayStation 2 Features:
- Chessmaster Championships-A new series of tournaments offers a challenge for players of every skill level. As players improve, they are rewarded with special events and new opponents.
- Powerful Tutorials-The complete set of Chessmaster tutorials from celebrated chess coach Bruce Pandolfini and International Master and chess celebrity, Josh Waitzkin.
- Handicap Matches-Provides an easy, elegant and fun way to balance games between players of unequal skill.
- 3D Chess Battlefield-Includes a special 3D chess set that features fantasy characters such as, orcs, elves, knights and monsters that animate as they move on a checkered battlefield.
- Player Statistics-players can measure their growth and improvement using tournament results, tutorial and drill statistics. A tool that anyone can use to measure growth as a chess player.
- Dynamic Playing World-In real life, chess players have good days and bad days and in Chessmaster this applies to the AI opponents as well. Player ratings will vary in a more realistic manner.
- New Chess Sets-A variety of 3D chess sets tailored to the PS2.