US stat compiler, the NPD Group, reports that sales of video games and related hardware sales rose a massive 24% year on year. The Xbox 360 winning the hardware race with approximately 297,000 units sold.
This figure (60% up year-on-year) sees the Xbox 360 as the USA's best-selling console for ten of the past 11 months. Adding to this is the fact that Microsoft has made it clear that the Kinect games roster will triple by the end of the year.
Microsoft also reported that Kinect Sports has sold more than three million copies, Dance Central has sold more than 2.5 million.
NPD analyst Anita Frazier commented, "The PS3, PSP and Xbox 360 platforms saw an increase in unit sales versus April 2010. The Xbox 360 platform was the best selling of the month in terms of unit sales, followed by the Nintendo DS."
Top games for the period were:
(1) - Mortal Kombat 2011 - Xbox, PS3
(2) - Portal 2 - Xbox, PS3, PC
(3) - Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - Xbox, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS, 3DS
(4) - Call of Duty: Black Ops - Xbox, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS
(5) - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters - Xbox, PS3, Wii
(6) - Crysis 2 - Xbox, PS3, PC
(7) - Just Dance 2 - Wii
(8) - Michael Jackson: The Experience - Xbox, PS3, Wii, NDS, PSP
(9) - Pokemon White Version - NDS
(10) - NBA 2K11 - Xbox, PS3, Wii, PC, PSP, PS2