Sega's New NiGHTS Game for Wii – Confirmed

The Sega dream, on Nintendo’s new gen baby

Posted by Staff
SPOnG can confirm that recent speculation of NiGHTS remake holds truth today, as fresh details emerge of a game that has reached epic proportions before a single jot of official information is revealed.

Speaking to representatives close to the project, we were told in no uncertain terms that a new NiGHTS game is about to be uncovered. NiGHTS will launch exclusively for the Nintendo Wii platform.

“Yes, there is a new NiGHTS coming, and coming quite soon actually,” we were told today by a representative close to the project who agreed to speak with us under terms of strict anonymity. “It's a full game too, not a rehash of old NiGHTS for Virtual Console as some have said it might be lately. It's a whole new game.”

Of course, rumours of a NiGHTS Into Dreams remake have existed since the original game, and it's follow-up spin-off Christmas NiGHTS, delighted Saturn owners back in 1996. A Dreamcast version was thought to be in the works up to the point the system was pulled, and chatter of a rebirth on a new home console has never ceased to engage the Sega fanbase.

Of note with this remake is the fact that it's going to come from a new studio and not from within Sega itself. Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic The Hedgehog and a legendary developer in his own right, was believed to have become frustrated with Sega as it revised its core business operations, following the shift away from former parent CSK to pachinko giant Sammy. It is believed that his autonomy was reduced and the central Sonic Team diluted and relocated to other teams and projects.

This caused Naka to seek allegiances with the Sega old guard, which were successfully gained, and start a new company, called Prope (the Latin word for 'beside' or 'next-to'). Prope was set up in May 2006 with 10% funding coming directly from Sega itself - more than an indication that it going to develop product around Sega IP from the off.

The cult status of NiGHTS belies its megre sales, bound as it was by the dead-on-arrival Saturn platform. The game is still held in absolute awe by those sucked into it, and is marked as one of the true videogamers' videogames from the 32-Bit era. NiGHTS reinvented the 'score-attack' system of gameplay that had been lost, presenting raw scoreboard accolades to players who had gotten used to almost every game in every genre trying to avoid the use of a score system in the classic sense.

It was rumoured from the off that Prope's first project would be a NiGHTS remake. Today, it looks like these rumours were bang on the money.

Stay tuned to SPOnG for everything on NiGHTS as information is drip-fed to us by way of leaks, off-the-record comment who knows, maybe even an official announcement.

Comments

Showing the 20 most recent comments. Read all 25.
Svend Joscelyne 19 Mar 2007 17:58
6/25
?

[Svend has just died of happy. Please leave a message.]

If we're talking about returns of SEGA games as well, from what I've seen Sumo Digital look like they are the nuts at doing the company proud (what with Outrun2 and Virtua Tennis 3 and all).
TigerUppercut 20 Mar 2007 12:29
7/25
Not to detract from your message or the work of Sumo, but the studio is a port shop, nothing more.

It could be argued that the only bit of Outrun they did on their own was broken too. (Bonus tracks which were glitchy and horrible).
more comments below our sponsor's message
mitcjase 22 Mar 2007 03:44
8/25
“It's a full game too, not a rehash of old NiGHTS for Virtual Console as some have said it might be lately. It's a whole new game.”
k.

"It was rumoured from the off that Prope's first project would be a NiGHTS remake. Today, it looks like these rumours were bang on the money."
!?

... Well which is it? A new game or a remake?! Get your story straight, Spong.
Rod Todd 22 Mar 2007 07:21
9/25
mitcjase wrote:
... Well which is it? A new game or a remake?! Get your story straight, Spong.

Hi, welcome to the SPOnG forums. It's usuallu nicer if your first post isn't spite filled hater nit picking. But I'm sure you'll be back loads of times in future to put things right.

majin dboy 22 Mar 2007 09:54
10/25
lol,just about to say that RT.

your first post should be....long time reader....first post...etc etc.not a good start mate.
Svend Joscelyne 22 Mar 2007 11:09
11/25
mitcjase wrote:
... Well which is it? A new game or a remake?! Get your story straight, Spong.

Nice to meet you too. Scone?
majin dboy 22 Mar 2007 11:42
12/25
lol svend lol indeed.

what i find funny is that he went to the hastle to get an,avatar, sign up,give email address etc.....just to complain.
LUPOS 22 Mar 2007 14:30
13/25
majin dboy wrote:
what i find funny is that he went to the hastle to get an,avatar, sign up,give email address etc.....just to complain.


Have you been on the inter-tubes long? I'd say 90% of the people on any forum probably belong to ten other forums and almost all of them simply so they can complain about others posts.

I've actually been giving myself a migraine going around and reading what other people have written about this story then seeing all the f**kers in the comments sections going "confirmed by SPOnG? More like made up by DOnG! HAr HaR hAr!!1". Not to mention most reports on this link to other sites that link to us. Is it really that hard to link to the actual source? C**ts ;)

Time will tell, as it always does.
______
tyrion 22 Mar 2007 14:33
14/25
LUPOS wrote:
Time will tell, as it always does.

Though very rarely does anybody on those other sites come back here and say "you was right, mate" to make up for their baseless accusations. They just wait for the next time and accuse us of lying again.
Svend Joscelyne 22 Mar 2007 15:21
15/25
tyrion wrote:
Though very rarely does anybody on those other sites come back here and say "you was right, mate" to make up for their baseless accusations. They just wait for the next time and accuse us of lying again.

That is what gets my goat a little bit - someone from my own site, upon reading this news, said "take with a grain of salt - it _is_ Spong after all". I'm sorry, but as much respect as I have for IGN and all the others, it's annoying that people wait till they speak and then go around saying "Gosh, look what Gamespot's discovered!".

Nice... :P
LUPOS 22 Mar 2007 15:24
16/25
Svend Joscelyne wrote:
someone from my own site


?
_____
Svend Joscelyne 22 Mar 2007 15:33
17/25
LUPOS wrote:
?

*points to url in signature :)*
Dun pay no rent tho. :P
mitcjase 25 Mar 2007 06:18
18/25
ROFL. Seriously, those replies were worth a good laugh, thanks.

Lawl, trying to figure out which is true = "spite-filled hater nit picking". I'll have to remember that. But it's unfortunate that your argument fails. I haven't even HEARD of Spong until this thread's original article was posted on a forum that I frequent. The fact that you attempt to police someone who innocently questions faulty statements from an article, and dictate to them how their first post should've been written shows your credibility, or lack there-of. I knew that IGN was bad, but wow. You're even worse. =( Shame on you all.
Svend Joscelyne 25 Mar 2007 10:08
19/25
mitcjase wrote:
Lawl, trying to figure out which is true = "spite-filled hater nit picking".

There's nothing wrong with questioning an article. In hindsight, the only thing people were picking apart with your post was your hostility towards us.

What many SPOnGers were venting about is the fact that our reputation as some sort of "liars" precedes us. There are things that this site have revealed well before others had that we never had been credited for. Case in point, the XBOX 360 name. I've not been on the team long so can't really give many more examples, but I'm sure others will be happy to give examples where the site was right but people online basically went "Oh well it's SPOnG, they were wrong once due to a technicality. Let's not believe them again".

Not that we (well, only speaking for myself here) care about not getting credit for the things we get right, but when people don't consider that when we potentially post a breaking story and instead focus on a balls-up that could have happened to anyone, you can see our frustration at everyone's perception of us.

But our beef isn't anything to do with you questioning our validity or not. You're perfectly right to do so.

Having said that, you could have been a bit nicer in your first ever post on this forum. As you said yourself, you didn't even hear of this site before you posted the first time, so judging by your first post can only assume the forum you heard of us from said something along the lines of "Spong are rumour-millers". If that was the case, you could say you already had a pre-judged opinion of us before you put finger to keyboard.

In direct response to the validity of the article, must we really be tied down to waiting till press releases before a piece of news is considered 'credible'? Naturally there is some form of investigation that must be carried out, but please don't confuse investigative journalism with a lack of facts. If a game was confirmed to someone well ahead of its official announcement, there's hardly likely to be any official documentation about it is there?

I know that wasn't your original contention anyway, just thought I'd nip that in the bud before someone decided to have a laugh.

The fact that you attempt to police someone who innocently questions faulty statements from an article, and dictate to them how their first post should've been written shows your credibility, or lack there-of.


Are you sure that's what we did?
Rod Todd = Commented on your hostility, not your questioning of the story.
majin dboy = Concurred.
Me = Same.
majin dboy = lol'd. Then perhaps made a vague generalisation about you -- but considering your first post was pretty much of that attitude, it's not surprising if some thought you came here to complain.
LUPOS = Started tangent which everyone else followed, which wasn't to do with your post.

I don't remember anyone saying "How dare you question our credibility, blah blah blah!" You just could have been nicer than "Oi website I've never seen before, get your f*%kin' story straight!" (the attitude you showed pretty much gave off that effect, even if they weren't exactly the words you used). There is a little thing called etiquette, you know.
mitcjase 25 Mar 2007 11:13
20/25
so judging by your first post can only assume the forum you heard of us from said something along the lines of "Spong are rumour-millers". If that was the case, you could say you already had a pre-judged opinion of us before you put finger to keyboard.

'Fraid not. If I said I hadn't heard of this site, that would imply that I haven't heard of this site's name before clicking on that link, much less heard the statements beforehand that this site is a rumor mill.

In direct response to the validity of the article, must we really be tied down to waiting till press releases before a piece of news is considered 'credible'? Naturally there is some form of investigation that must be carried out, but please don't confuse investigative journalism with a lack of facts. If a game was confirmed to someone well ahead of its official announcement, there's hardly likely to be any official documentation about it is there?

True, so then the story is hardly "confirmed" then. Hell, the employee could be giving you false information just to screw with you and lower your credibility. When all is said and done. It could even be that there is no employee, since coincidentally, this employee wasn't named to protect his "identity" and this was written as a (very very cruel) early April Fool's joke. Then again, you're hardly the first to report on NiGHTS. So this is just a hypothetical thing. There is also that 360 trailer for NiGHTS 2. Don't know the story behind that trailer and don't really care to look it up at 3:49 in the morning.


The fact that you attempt to police someone who innocently questions faulty statements from an article, and dictate to them how their first post should've been written shows your credibility, or lack there-of.

Are you sure that's what we did?

Ayup.

Rod Todd = Commented on your hostility, not your questioning of the story.

It's usuallu nicer if your first post isn't spite filled hater nit picking.

Wrong. He complained about how I was picking apart two contradicting points from the article.

your first post should be....long time reader....first post...etc etc.not a good start mate.

Refer to "dictate to them how their first post should've been written".

majin dboy = lol'd. Then perhaps made a vague generalisation about you -- but considering your first post was pretty much of that attitude, it's not surprising if some thought you came here to complain.

what i find funny is that he went to the hastle to get an,avatar, sign up,give email address etc.....just to complain.

Complain about two contracting points. E.g.,
It's a full game too, not a rehash of old NiGHTS for Virtual Console as some have said it might be lately. It's a whole new game.

and
"It was rumoured from the off that Prope's first project would be a NiGHTS remake. Today, it looks like these rumours were bang on the money."

Quite contradictory, don't you agree?

LUPOS = Started tangent which everyone else followed, which wasn't to do with your post.

That much I can agree with, yet he was responding to majin, who was referencing me. So by extension, it is related to my post.

I don't remember anyone saying "How dare you question our credibility, blah blah blah!"

Maybe not, I admit that I used a baseless point thar, lawl. +1 point for you.

You just could have been nicer than "Oi website I've never seen before, get your f*%kin' story straight!" (the attitude you showed pretty much gave off that effect, even if they weren't exactly the words you used). There is a little thing called etiquette, you know.

Definitely not the words I used. Rofl. In hindsight could I have been a bit nicer? I suppose I could have. Then again, so could have everyone else. But did I regret it? No. Did I enjoy picking apart your argument? Definitely. =P
Svend Joscelyne 25 Mar 2007 22:33
21/25
Touche, touche. :) I love to pick people's posts apart too. Well played. ;)

I obviously can't speak for anyone else here, but it just seemed to me like it was more the way you discussed your point, rather than the point itself, that people were contending to. I gather people like Rod Todd would not have used such an aggressive word as 'nit-picking' had the original post been a bit less... direct, shall we say? ;)

Still, you're right - everyone could be a bit nicer about everyone else and the world will be full of smiling suns, happy children, bouncing sheep and Jeff Minter.
Joji 26 Mar 2007 00:08
22/25
Yeah, welcome Mit. Just thought I'd say that first. You deserve that much to start.

I'd just like to say first, to give the Spong crew a break. While you are entitled to your opinion (and yeah the Nights thing could be an April Fools but who knows for sure yet) you have to be careful how you word it.

The other thing you have to understand and bare in mind with this website, is that its' not like the mass rep and turnover sites like IGN, 1up and Gamespot in size. Even though Spong isn't as big as those sites, doesn't mean Spong doesn't get its share of scoops. Or do you really think that because those other sites are bigger, they get all the news scoops and its more credible because of their reputation and popularity?

On top of that, do you remember that last time IGN or Gamespot got something wrong, because it seems many out there easily forget these moments, but yet its justified reason for some, to hang writers of smaller sites from a noose.

Its quite simple new Spong member, everybody gets things right and wrong, no matter how great they are or who they work for, from small but great writers like our respected Spong crew, to past industry folk like ol' Trip Hawkins (and his 3DO, back in the day).

Its true, about Spong scooping the Xbox 360 name first (amongst others), as I was here to bare witness to that. Don't believe or believe, that's fine. But all I'm saying is give Spong a break, and stick around to use your account. You'll see what Spong is all about, despite any negative rumours you might have heard elsewhere.

Yeah I also post on a few other gaming/anime websites, but Spong is still my main home online.

That's all I got to say for now, hope you enjoy your stay at Spong, Mit.



mitcjase 26 Mar 2007 00:48
23/25
Thanks. Note: I gave up the credibility argument there. Also I was just stating hypothetically that it could be an April Fool's joke on either's part, seeing as how close it is to April.

My main argument is the two contradictions in the main article. Is the game going to be a remake, or is it a brand new, completely original game? Unless I misunderstand, it was stated via the quote from the unnamed employee that this is a brand-new game, and not a remake. Then at the end, the writer stated that this was going to be a remake. I've got to say, I'm confused here. I'm just trying to figure out which the writer means for the sake of the readers. Is this a brand-new, original game, or is it a remake? Think you can clear this up?
Tim Smith 26 Mar 2007 13:45
24/25
mitcjase wrote:

My main argument is the two contradictions in the main article. Is the game going to be a remake, or is it a brand new, completely original game? Unless I misunderstand, it was stated via the quote from the unnamed employee that this is a brand-new game, and not a remake. Then at the end, the writer stated that this was going to be a remake. I've got to say, I'm confused here. I'm just trying to figure out which the writer means for the sake of the readers. Is this a brand-new, original game, or is it a remake? Think you can clear this up?


First up - pick away; nothing like it to encourage some actual thinking - and "keeping the bastards honest" is a noble pursuit.

Secondly, to clarify.

As you say 'new game' came as a direct quote from our contact, "It's a full game too, not a rehash of old NiGHTS for Virtual Console as some have said it might be lately. It's a whole new game.”

Rehash means straight port to VC.

New game means NiGHTS remade as a new game for Wii (controllers etc).

To us, that's a remake.

But as this confusion appears to have raised quite a storm of debate, we are currently in the middle of a follow-up with quotes and more clarity based on new information that I won't talk about right now.
tyrion 27 Mar 2007 19:18
25/25
mitcjase wrote:
Also I was just stating hypothetically that it could be an April Fool's joke on either's part, seeing as how close it is to April.

The evidence is mounting that it probably isn't a joke.
Posting of new comments is now locked for this page.